Mid-east change - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Mid-east change

O.K. normally I read the paper,watch CNN,browse Yahoo news,but I must admit I'm kinda behind on the mid-east sitch. from the catching-up I've done,it looks like Russia in 90-91,all these countries deposing their present governments and reforming! Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 02:55 PM
Banned

BBC News - Mid-East and Arab Unrest
This is a good summary.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 03:03 PM
Banned

Although, I would say, it's more North Africa rather than Middle East. Although obviously Bahrain is having to shoot a few miscreants as well Libya seem to have the edge in the "most hateful dictatorship" atm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 04:19 PM
Banned

actually the best historical example of this was the mid 1800's when European countries were revolting against their Kings, Czars and abandoning Feudalism in the face of the Industrial Revolution. the same phenomenon is taking place with these Arab countries, fueled by economic hardship and enabled by telecommunications and social networking. ironically the place where such a revolution is needed the most is the not Arab country of North Korea, but without any communication freedom, those poor brainwashed souls have no hope of liberating themselves.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Where's Iran in all this? I know some of their warships are headed for Syria. and Syria annexed Lebanon in 1990. And Israel sent troops into Lebanon a few years ago. and Iran is the former Persian Empire. And Iraq is...er...part of ancient Mesopotamia?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 10:21 PM
Banned

Iran is not as simple a story because it is the center of the Shi'a and Sunni rift between Moslem's, think Christians and Protestants on the British Islands. So the people in Iran do not want to revolt because they see their country as the last bastion of their Shi'a minority around the Moslem World and accept it's religious autocratic rule. Obviously, even what I just wrote over simplify matters, but it helps Westerners to see there are a lot more cross currents of politics and religion influencing the middle east than simply over throwing decades old tyrants now that we can all access and coordinate non violent protests using social networks on the internet.

Last edited by YellowStoneCats; 02-22-2011 at 10:26 PM.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 10:32 PM
Super Moderator

Hey! I found Waldo!!!

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 10:44 PM
Cat Addict

Yo, Joey!! You know more about the ME than Sarah Palin and GWB combined just with the Sunni-Shia bit. Wanna be President?

The last time people tried to elimate free roaming cats it resulted in The Black Plague.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Impressive, YS Cats! You've got a good eye Marie! ...wait isn't that him, kinda left of Basra?

I read somewhere that Iranians are into ipods,American movies,even the Oprah Winfrey network! A friend, born in Iran,said that on Tehran streets,sheep have the right-of-way. I don't know if he was serious or not.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 07:18 PM
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowStoneCats View Post
think Christians and Protestants on the British Islands.
Um, Protestants are Christians too. It's Catholics and Protestants in Northern Ireland. And the casual comparison with Iran over-emphasises religious sectarianism and simplifies socio-economic and historical factors - as you are no doubt aware.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page