My company is being ripped off, can I do anything? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

My company is being ripped off, can I do anything?

I don't know if there's a good way to tell my boss about this. She hired this guy to do our IT work, and he's been ordering a lot of computer equipment because we're upgrading and improving a lot of stuff. I just found out that he's also ordering extra little things on the side for himself, as in it comes in with the rest of the legit order and he quietly takes it home. I only know this because one of the guys he works with and talks to told me the guy has mentioned it. I don't have any way to prove it, and my boss is so computer illiterate she'd never be able to match up the credit card receipts with what actually showed up here and what's still here. On top of that, the whole reason she hired this guy is that he's the son of her husband's business partner, so the guy already thinks he can get away with whatever he wants and I don't feel like I can do anything about it because she'll let the family connection blind her to reality.

Can I do anything here, or should I just keep on doing my job and not say anything and hope they figure it out before he rips off the company for thousands of dollars?

~Diana, happy mom to Fern and Fergie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 03:39 PM
Cool Cat

Yikes - that's a tough one.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 04:11 PM
Cat Addict

"he's the son of her husband's business partner"

Absolutely do not touch. You should see the 'gratutities' that are passed from vendors to the people who hire them here. Managemnt considers it 'their due'.

Relatives are a step even deeper.

You will sooo regert it if you bring it up.

The last time people tried to elimate free roaming cats it resulted in The Black Plague.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 04:22 PM
Nan
Cool Cat

Is your boss the person who does Accounts Payable? Who is approving the invoices for the IT stuff? That is where it should get caught. He might be giving the company a check for his personal portion of the order.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator

Would you be in more trouble in the long run for "snitching" - or for knowing about it and not saying anything?

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 07:17 PM
Cat Addict

I don't suppose you could take the chicken way out and write an anonymous letter? That way you would not be the one who was a snitch (at least not that anyone knew) But the problem might be stopped. Normally I wouldn't condone taking the coward way out, but in this case it might save you a lot of trouble.
I just hate people who steal!

Sue

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Dave, I'm with you - that's why I haven't said anything and I really don't want to.

Nan, my boss is the CFO, but since the guy is buying such a varied collection of stuff I don't think she'll realize that there's extra stuff on the invoices. And since the guy openly told my friend he's 'added' stuff onto the orders for himself, with no mention of paying the company back, I think it's a lot more likely this is just outright stealing. He's not getting us any deals either, just buying whatever he finds first regardless of the price.

Marie, I think it would be worse for me to snitch than to keep my mouth shut - there's no way for anyone to prove that I know about it so I really can't get in trouble for not speaking up.

Sue, I hadn't thought of an anonymous letter, but I think that could backfire too. This guy hangs out a lot with a good friend of mine, the one who told me about this, so I think 'anonymous' would be blamed on him and then HE might get in trouble!

I think I'm mostly venting here - I really don't think there's anything for me to do that doesn't put me at risk for losing my job at the worst or being labeled a snitch at best. It's a no-win situation but it makes me so mad!

~Diana, happy mom to Fern and Fergie
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 07:47 PM
Nan
Cool Cat

Unless it's part of your job to review the invoices, I would stay out of it. It's hearsay for you to report it. (Your only connection appears to be "so&so said this about so&so#2").

Maybe the guy who told you will say something. If it keeps going on, he'll probably get caught. Most accountants like your CFO are aware of audit procedures and likely fraud.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 04:52 AM
Cat

I think most importantly it depends on how friendly/close you are with your boss. In my last job I had a very good personal relationship with my boss and it would have been important to me to let her know. But if you're not very close, I'd say let it go and let the company's fraud prevention catch it (if there is one).
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 07:01 AM
Banned

I'm with Dave on this, don't go near it. Pretty crappy situation, but you have to be selfish in this case, and not care.

If it was your responsibility, then sure, you would have an actual reason to investigate. In this case you just found out through gossip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page