He's lucky that he's so cute... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

He's lucky that he's so cute...

Because boy does Apollo try my patience sometimes. I have never had such a mischievous, trouble-making pet ever.

This was half my fault, admittedly. I left a cup of tea sitting on my desk this morning, and then went into the bedroom to get dressed.

I heard a very loud crash and my boyfriend yelling at Apollo, followed by a "Oh my god..."
He had jumped onto my desk (which he insists on doing over and over despite our frequent attempts to scold him for it) and knocked the cup of tea onto my desktop computer. There was tea everywhere.

It may be toast, I'm not sure yet. I tried to dry it out and turn it on without any peripherals plugged in, and it booted up (but stopped because there was no keyboard attached). But once I plugged the keyboard in and restarted it, it refused to even boot.

So now I am letting it and the keyboard dry out some more.

I was planning on getting a new desktop computer soon anyway, as that thing was ancient. But I had hoped to keep this thing around for file storage (I have massive stores of art files and photos) and to play old games that won't run on Windows 7.

I guess at least I'm just hoping my hard drive is okay. I think it is. That's what I can't afford to lose, as I have so much art on that thing. Some of it's backed up, but some of my more recent stuff isn't, since I ran out of space on my backup drive.

At least I got a nice laptop recently for work, so I still have a computer to use until I either get the desktop running again or get a new one.

Let this be a multipart lesson:
1-Never leave a beverage sitting near any kind of electronics when you have a cat.
2-Always make sure everything is backed up. Don't stall on it just because your backup drive is full.

Sorry guys, just had to vent. We all love our cats of course, but boy, Apollo is a handful sometimes! At least Athena is a little angel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator

I've heard about rice drying out computers from a spill, here's a link that talks about it

Will rice dry a computer out? - Yahoo! UK & Ireland Answers

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 03:48 PM
Premier Cat

You can still use the hard drive to store data without the desktop case and keyboard. Just install the hard drive into an external hard drive case. Then you can use a USB port and electrical socket and hook it straight to your new computer.

My SO bought me a new terabyte drive for my iMac and installed it. He did the above with my OLD hard drive and now I have data storage that I can't even HOPE to fill up .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Thank you for the link! I tried a hair-dryer at first, but am now just letting it air-dry. It's got so many tiny nooks and crannies that I'd be nervous about rice getting stuck in there, but if all else fails I could give that a shot.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowMow View Post
You can still use the hard drive to store data without the desktop case and keyboard. Just install the hard drive into an external hard drive case. Then you can use a USB port and electrical socket and hook it straight to your new computer.

My SO bought me a new terabyte drive for my iMac and installed it. He did the above with my OLD hard drive and now I have data storage that I can't even HOPE to fill up .
Yeah, I've done that with drives before (actually the backup drive in the desktop is an old laptop drive from a previous computer of mine). If the rest of the computer is toast, that's probably what I'll do. I'm so paranoid about losing files (having had many old computers crash before) that I like to keep redundant backups of everything.

It sucks that I still wouldn't have an old computer around to play ancient games, but my that is honestly the least of my concerns in all of this.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 03:51 PM
Banned

Tbh you've missed the boat on the most sensible option. If you spill any liquid on electronics, you need to let it dry out absolutely completely before trying to switch it on.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 03:53 PM
Premier Cat

I know zip about computer hardware, but I hope you don't lose the data on your hard drive!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge View Post
Tbh you've missed the boat on the most sensible option. If you spill any liquid on electronics, you need to let it dry out absolutely completely before trying to switch it on.
That was what I intended to do. But my boyfriend insisted it was dry (we let it sit for an hour, and then he gave it an extra once-over with a hair dryer). I probably should have just insisted he wait longer before trying to turn it on. :/

Do you think I destroyed my chances of it working again by trying to turn it on too soon?

Edit: I should note that after the hour of it sitting open, it seemed completely dry, and started to boot up fine until we tried plugging the keyboard in and restarting it. We noticed after that there was some tea in the keyboard too. I hadn't realized the tea had hit the keyboard before that. I'm hoping that was the issue. I'm only mildly computer-savvy and don't know much about computer hardware though so I don't really know.

Last edited by saitenyo; 03-03-2011 at 03:58 PM.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 04:07 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by saitenyo View Post
and to play old games that won't run on Windows 7.
What games? I've found most games, even from Windows 95, will play on Windows 7. It isn't like Vista's incompatibility. The only game I've had problems with was a game that crashed every few minutes. I tried finding a solution but after trying a lot of things I eventually downloaded a downgraded version of my graphics card as a last resort. The game now works.

I hope you're able to get your information off the computer, it's terrible to lose information. That happened to me... twice. Ugh.

Also, as Huge said... yeah... drying it out fully was really the thing to do.

Along with the dogs
and
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel View Post
What games? I've found most games, even from Windows 95, will play on Windows 7. It isn't like Vista's incompatibility. The only game I've had problems with was a game that crashed every few minutes. I tried finding a solution but after trying a lot of things I eventually downloaded a downgraded version of my graphics card as a last resort. The game now works.

I hope you're able to get your information off the computer, it's terrible to lose information. That happened to me... twice. Ugh.

Also, as Huge said... yeah... drying it out fully was really the thing to do.
The Creatures series (which had to be patched to even run on windows XP), although I was able to find versions that were Windows XP compatible that also run fine on 7.

But the one I have never been able to get to run on my Windows 7 laptop is Sim Park. Not sure why.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page