Gardening - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Nan
Cool Cat

Gardening

It's March & I'm sick of winter and starting to dream about planting things again.

I'm glad to find out that my favs petunias and impatiens are safe, but I did just order some geraniums from a friend's child who sells them for 4H. I didn't know but they are on the toxic list. Good thing my cats are indoors cats but there may be others who wander through.

But here are some lists to consider:
Poisonous Plants to Pets

ASPCA | Toxic and Non-Toxic Plants?

I had been thinking about some coleus, but decided I had better just stick with heuchera (coral bells) after looking at the aspca site. You have to click on the plant to read further. Some of the plants on the toxic list just cause gastric upset while others really are poisonous. It also looks like some variations (like of daisies) are and some aren't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 03:55 PM
Premier Cat

I too can't wait for Spring and to get back out in the garden again. Being in Canada, though, I have a long wait, since we can't really plant until mid-May. That said, my spring bulbs should start to sprout in late April/early May. I have about 1,000 tulips, daffodils, crocuses, etc., and they look beautiful when they're in bloom.

I have a lot of toxic plants in my garden, mainly because my garden is primarily perennials that were planted years before I adopted my girls. That's yet another reason Muffs and Abby aren't allowed to roam free in my back yard.

Heuchera is one of my favorites and it too is a perennial, so unlike coleus, you will only need to plant it once and it will return year after year. I have about a dozen heuchera plants spread about. I don't have coleus, though, since I don't plant too many annuals.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 04:45 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I'm really anxious for Spring to come! I love flowers! Coleus can be wintered in the house, and you can start cuttings galore to decorate the porch or your windows this summer.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 05:44 PM
Cat Addict

I had 3 enormous trees removed last fall so most of the planting this year will be re-seeding the yard.

Its a total mess right now, and many of my shade perrenials are going to need transplanted with those trees gone.

-steve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 05:55 PM
Cool Cat

I went and bought a whole bunch of flower seeds today. I'm going to plan them in little starter pots next week, so they'll be ready to plant outside when it's time (and they're a little more developed/hardy).

I didn't bother with worrying about toxic ones. The feral cats keep to the other side of the yard, and I may plant a little patch of catnip for them near their den.
The cat I am tending for a while is an outside cat, but I assume she knows what to nibble and what not...the neighbors have all sorts of flowers, and she doesn't seem to have gotten sick from anything out there.
Besides...with my brown thumb, I'll probly kill the garden again this year, too! (although my first snap dragons did survive to a second year...but nothin' else did!)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 06:06 PM
Cat Addict

I love cherry tomatoes, sweet peppers and jalapenos. Most of them never make it in the house. I just stand out in the yard with a beer and munch away

I grow my veggies in containers, too. Its a habit I got into when I used to rent and we weren't allowed to plant stuff. Container gardening rocks.

-steve

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Nan
Cool Cat

Catnip, I do alot in containers too. The area off my patio has a couple of pine trees and it's too root-bound to plant there, so I have about 6 oblong planters that I plant with impatiens and then pots with herbs on the side and a couple planters and hanging baskets in the front. I have given up on tomatoes for now; the side of my condo is too shady & I don't really want a tomato on my front porch.

Najiwench, that's a very creative idea with the kiddie pools!

Dawn, I started some seeds indoors last year- some zinnias (which then I read on the package that they do not transplant well, but they were fine) and 3 kinds of basil. I think the basil would have grown just as fast sown outside though; they need
warmth. It's fun to grow things from seed.

Susan, I can't plant until mid-May either. I used to have some yellow crocus that would come up in Fed-March but I don't think they did last year. I do still have some purple crocus that are later & windflowers in my front garden.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 08:24 PM
Cool Cat

I actually have little greenhouses for my plants. I tried just planting them "out", and as soon as the little sprouts of leaflings came up... the cats nibbled them off! So now I get those clear storage bins, and have the little pots inside those - then the cats can't get to them... AND it also saves a bit on watering, as it doesn't evaporate as much.
For now, they'll be set at the patio door (on the inside, of course!) which faces south for lots of light. I can safely plant outside about May 5, after last frost (a'course it snowed in May of last year!)

I love crocuses! They're especially pretty when they bloom, then it snows a bit, so there's flowers peeking out of a white 'blanket' on the yard

I tried planting some bulbs this last autumn, but the squirrels kept digging them up. Maybe this year I'll start those inside, too! (but those will go in the cellar for their "cold storage" stage)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page