Weight Gain Options? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Weight Gain Options?

I really need some options on gaining weight. At the beginning of October I weighed about 108 lbs, which is what I've been since I was in high school. I got really sick at the end of October and lost almost 10 lbs...then I got sick every month after that until January...it was the same fluy-thing every time (people need to learn NOT to come into work when their sick!!).

Well, I weighed myself this morning and I'm down to 92.6 lbs!

I eat whatever I can get my hands on, and I've been trying to eat lots of fatty stuff like chips and candy, to pack on some pounds. But it's obviously not working as I continue to lose and not gain. Next time I'm going to be at the grocery store, I'm going to pick up some ingredients for some homemade protein shakes, so I hope that helps a bit.

I don't feel sick or unhealthy, and I continue to take my daily walk, so I'm getting enough exercise. But I'm kinda getting a bit worried. I am on birth control pills, and a few months ago I switched brands. I'm wondering if this has anything to do with it...

Anyone have any options on how to gain weight quickly (and safely)?

Last edited by Time Bandit; 03-10-2011 at 10:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 11:07 AM
Cat Addict

Here is a good guide on how to gain weight safely.

THE AIM IS TO GAIN: A Guide to Weight Gain, Whatever Your Reason - UPDATED

I would also recommend this site where that thread is posted to do your calorie counting. Just like if you were trying to lose weight, you want to make sure that you are not only eating the correct number of calories, but also that you are eating a good balance in your meals and you are getting all the macro-nutrients (carbs, protein, fat) and micro-nutrients (vitamins, minerals, etc) that you need.

I use this site for my weight loss journey. It really helps me make better choices but helps me re-adjust if I decide to be bad (like drinking the mountain dew for the past 3 days).

Last edited by raecarrow; 03-10-2011 at 11:10 AM.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 11:15 AM
Nan
Cool Cat

Protein shakes as snacks. Nuts are good. Take a look at what you are eating. Make sure there is ample protein so you aren't losing muscle.

If haven't done this, have your doctor run a blood test for your thyroid function.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 02:07 PM
Cat Addict

You can have some of my fat!

Becky, the proud momma of:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Thanks guys. I am definitely going to check out that website Rae...looks like there's a lot of great info! Calorie counting is something I've never done, but if I can create a balanced raw menu for my cats, I'm sure I can do it for myself too!

Nuts are awesome. I always have at least cashews in the house, because they are my favorite nut!

As for seeing a doctor I probably should... Thing is I don't trust them. I go in for my yearly physical, but thats it. For years when I was younger, I was misdiagnosed and tested on for stuff and they couldn't figure out what was (and still is) wrong with me...so I just don't take them very seriously. NO offense to any doctors on the forum! I haven't had health insurance in almost a decade, so that should tell ya how much I see doctors.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 04:30 PM
Cool Cat

I second the balanced diet & extra protein that the others mentioned. You can eat more candy bars than I should, but I wouldn't recommend using that method to gain weight because you will be adding a lot of bad stuff like cholesterol in the process. If your one of those super skinny high metabolism types, then it would probably be a good idea for you to do some light resistance training and weight lifting to add muscle in addition to diet changes. The muscle would give you a sort of "reserve" in case you get sick again (also just make you healthier in general).
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimkris View Post
I second the balanced diet & extra protein that the others mentioned. You can eat more candy bars than I should, but I wouldn't recommend using that method to gain weight because you will be adding a lot of bad stuff like cholesterol in the process. If your one of those super skinny high metabolism types, then it would probably be a good idea for you to do some light resistance training and weight lifting to add muscle in addition to diet changes. The muscle would give you a sort of "reserve" in case you get sick again (also just make you healthier in general).
Yeah, super skinny and high metabolism definitely describes me. I also have a breathing problem (something to do with either my lungs or my heart...like I said, doctors couldn't diagnose me properly). I used to do some weight lifting when I was in WI, and I really enjoyed it. I just haven't found a gym around here I really like. They did however just complete a remodel of our apartment complex's exercise room, so I should probably check that out one of these days. In addition to my daily walk, a few hours of weight training a week would help with muscle gain and more than likely my breathing problem. Thanks for the tip!

I can totally admit that I get lazy when it comes to feeding myself. Both my boyfriend and I just eat whatever some nights, and I know I'm not getting everything I need for the day. I really have to start planning meals!!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 05:24 PM
Cool Cat

If you buy a set of hand weights (like the 2lb, 3lb, 5lb set) and you have digital cable, then you can pull up some basic classes from the on demand section. They also have some neat dance classes on there I've started doing Zumba on the wii console lately, and it is loads of fun!!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Oooh, we just picked up a Wii...I'll look into that Zumba! I know I have a set of hand weights around here somewhere...I'll probably have to go into dreaded storage for that (it's soooo unorganized!). XD
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 06:20 PM
Premier Cat

The following advice comes from my son, who's a personal trainer. He says if one is looking to put on muscle, eat lots of complex carbohydrates, such as brown rice, pasta, wholegrain bread, potatoes, etc. Also eats lots of healthy fats, such as nuts (walnuts, almonds, cashews, brazil nuts), and wild fish (salmon, herring). Red meats are also good. If you also need to add fat, you can include some refined carbohydrates (white bread, rice, pasta). Try to eat throughout the day, at least 4 or 5 times (meals and snacks) and don't skip meals. Feel free to enjoy healthy sweet things in the evening, such as fruit or yoghurt with berries (apparently eating sweet things in the evening will result in greater weight gain than eating them in the morning...don't ask me why!!). Stay away from too much cardiovascular exercise (treadmills, bikes) and increase the weight training...doesn't need to be anything fancy, just some simple weights, as swimkris suggested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page