Promises...oiy! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Promises...oiy!

WARNING! Long post... quite the story behind it.

I got myself into a pickle!

I was sewing a part of my SCA garb/costume, and my nephew (4 1/2 yrs old) is absolutely fascinated with the sewing machine. Of course at that age, he wants to help with everything. Since I was doing a lot of straight seams, and this is really a practice run for when I want to make really good garb, I figured what the heck. So I let him help.

One aspect he loves, is the foot pedal. When the machine is off he TROMPS his foot on it and makes "vroom!" noises, like it's a race car accelerator. He was good and calmed down when I told him I needed to set things up for the sewing. I told him to "push gentle", and he did a wonderful job. It was "now" to 'go' and "stop" to of course stop. Except for the neck hole (which is round and tricky for even me), I let him do all the seams of my zapona.
Another thing he liked, is the "big button", which is really the knob you turn with your hand when you want to guide the needle slower than the foot pedal... like getting the bobbin thread up into needle area. I told him to turn it towards himself until the needle went all the way back up again. He liked this because it was "the not dangerous part" (I told him all the silver stuff (needle area) would destroy our hands and hurt really bad if we weren't careful).

Of course when we got done, he wanted to do more. Thankfully I have a whole box of scraps, and he sewed some random seams all over a spare shirt. We got done with that, and he wanted MORE! I have other things to do, so I told him we'd stop for now. Then he wanted to cut cloth, because he had watched me cut out my pattern. So I gave him more scraps.
When he tried to go after the leftover material for my zapona - which I sort of want to save for something - I told him we could save it and make him a "boy dress" to match mine. So now I guess we're going to make him a T-tunic... which is all straight seams (even the neck hole!) that he can help with.

He also saw the picnic basket with all my "feast gear" in it, so now wants to go on picnics with me... since I told him I was sewing that dress for a picnic (SCA event). I told him if his mom lets him, I would take him to one.

NOW I dunno what to do. The events are all about an hour's drive away. Plus, my sister works on the days they are, and I certainly don't really want to have to spend the whole time watching my nephew - I go to these things to have fun, not babysit! Or I could just take him to the weekly gatherings that are smaller... but they're 7-10pm and his bedtime is 8. If I make a tunic for him, he's gonna want to wear it and show it off (since he helped make it).

I'm sort of wondering if he'll just forget about it, if I put all my stuff away and out of sight for a while.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 10:49 PM
Cat

Try making things seem boring or taking him out to a park instead of the event.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Actually, the weekly things are going to switch to the local park AND during the day, for the summer... but he wants to go NOW. I would definitely be willing to take him to those, as it's just a couple hours.
But the bigger events that are once or twice a month on Saturdays are for 12 hours straight (10 am to 10 pm), so that's kinda why I don't want to drag him along to those ones without my sister there to help watch him...and she has to work on Saturdays.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 11:36 PM
Cat

Oh ummm I don't know them.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 01:19 AM
Premier Cat

At 4.5yrs of age, he is NOT ready for fany event of significant length, especially if YOU go there to relax and have fun.

Dress up together and have a 'private picnic' at a park with a blanket and a couple snacks. I doubt he'd know the difference. If he really wants to show off, you can go into a few stores or hang around the park playground and answer questions anyone has about your outfits.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 06:48 AM
Premier Cat

Btw, he won't forget! However, Heidi's idea is perfect- just make a special picnic for him. Frankly he would have more fun with that than the actual picnic with a bunch of boring adults.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 08:34 AM
Banned

Take him to the small event, but not the big one. Easy.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

There are kids at the events - both big and small. In fact, at the smaller one they sometimes get so rowdy that the adults have to practically shout to hear each other talking! LOL

Yeah, if we get done with his outfit before an "official" weekly event, I'll take him to our own private one.
Thanks for the suggestions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page