Camping tin-foil dinner ideas? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Camping tin-foil dinner ideas?

I am going on a camping trip in June, and I'm preparing for it now. I was planning on taking a bunch of non-cook food, and only using one pan to heat water in the morning for cocoa and night for soup...and use only one big cup for both (plastic stuff might melt, and makes extra garbage to carry out). Then I realized I can have tin-foil dinners! No pan and/or dishes to clean, minimal trash...it's perfect! Only problem: I am NOT a cook! I haven't the foggiest idea what sort of ingredients to use and what goes good with whatever else.
I've started doing a web search, but figure I can get even more ideas here, too. I would like ideas for at least breakfast and dinner, I know about a few dessert recipes (baked bananas!). All perishables (meat, eggs, cheese) will be stored in the cooler - hopefully stays frozen at least the first couple days - until cooking time.
So...anybody?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 01:34 AM
Cool Cat

I would say that whenever you are making your regular dinners, cut a slice of whatever meat and store it in the freezer to take on your trip (like meatloaf, sausage patties, ham, etc). Fish like salmon cook very well in tinfoil with a small pat of butter & whatever seasoning you prefer. You could also do several different kinds of sandwiches- grilled cheese, melts, paninis, breakfast sandwiches, etc. Baked potatoes would be pretty easy to make too. Lastly, I know that things like stuffed shells will heat pretty well in tinfoil because we once had to heat them over the fireplace after a really bad ice storm that knocked the power out for several days.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 08:33 AM
Cat Addict

Have you thought of a Cardboard Box Oven? It works just like a regular oven. It uses charcoal briquettes as the heat source.

http://www.buckskin.org/resources/Ou...es/boxoven.pdf

Also, If you get a cast iron dutch oven, you can actually sit that right on the coals of a fire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 09:18 AM
Banned

Marshmallows on toast.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 09:55 AM
Senior Cat

not a tin foil meal, but one pan, kilbasa+potatos+onions+apples . start with cooking the kilbasa sliced in a pan, add sliced potatos and onions and keep frying the last few minutes add apple slices to the mix, the kilbasa will provide the oils needed for cooking plus some spice.. neat thing this meal can work for breakfast, lunch or dinner (peppers sweat or hot can be added also)

yeti cat: two toes short of the record books
eons ago there must had been a creature with a roar
like a vacuum cleaner, it most likely ate cats.
smokey,yeti, pansy, violet, ember and brullie
jolene, tammi and emma the ghost kitties in the house
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 10:29 AM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tghsmith View Post
not a tin foil meal, but one pan, kilbasa+potatos+onions+apples . start with cooking the kilbasa sliced in a pan, add sliced potatos and onions and keep frying the last few minutes add apple slices to the mix, the kilbasa will provide the oils needed for cooking plus some spice.. neat thing this meal can work for breakfast, lunch or dinner (peppers sweat or hot can be added also)
Ooo, my version of this is apples and maple sausage. I brown the maple sausage (I like Wholefoods maple sausage) with onions. I chop the sausage so it is more evenly distributed. Add golden delish. apples (other apples don't have the right texture) and I season it with brown sugar, a couple large pinches of regular sugar, cinnamon, a little chili powder, garlic and onion powder. Stir thoroughly every 10 min or so. Cook until the apples are soft. Pour over rice, mashed potatoes, boiled potatoes (any starch really).

Use more cinnamon and sugar for breakfast, more chili powder for lunch/dinner. Either way, you at least need some of all three. I know the combination sounds weird but trust me, it tastes more like dessert and less like breakfast if you don't add a little chili powder to the "breakfast" version and if you have chili powder without the cinnamon or sugar it tastes funky.

Last edited by raecarrow; 03-15-2011 at 10:33 AM.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

I have a little propane stove that I'll heat water on for cocoa in the morning and soup at night. But for solid food, I was hoping to stick with just having it in foil packets and cooking on coals of a wood fire (I'll have a fire pit, but no grill or anything to go over it).

Oohhh, I didn't think about sandwiches!
I was also thinking maybe I could just pre-make everything at home, then wrap it in the foil and freeze it. Then when I get there, all I'd really need to do is put it on the coals for a couple minutes for warming (kinda like microwave), rather than full cooking. Quicker, for one thing, and I wouldn't have to worry about under-cooking anything too.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 12:26 PM
Cat Addict

Yes salmon. You could just foil wrap some slices of lemon on the salmon and that's it. Very simple and tastes great.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 01:01 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to my5kitties
Completely off topic, but this is a thread I should not have read on an empty stomach. Now I'm hungrier than I was before. *shakes fist at all you*

----------
Renée
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 01:48 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by my4kitties View Post
Completely off topic, but this is a thread I should not have read on an empty stomach. Now I'm hungrier than I was before. *shakes fist at all you*
LOL! Too true. I'm going to grab my steam-in-bag broccoli now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page