Finally going to school to be an LVT - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
Finally going to school to be an LVT

The decision isn't final, but I'm pretty sure I'm ready.

Last night was my second review at work. The first was a little over a year ago. Business is bad. Worse than it has ever been really... we're cutting costs across the board and it has been expressed several times to us to not expect raises with reviews. I think because of that, several of my coworkers have said things like "who cares about a good review... its not like we're getting raises" and the like.

I received a raise after last year's review and will be getting one again this year

We actually base them on a point system. I was actually about 0.5 points away from the next level but was bumped up anyway. I was very surprised and ever so appreciative.

But that then started the discussion that even though I've only been there for 2.5 years, I'm basically maxed out. I'm at the top. I'm as high as I can go without any major changes. My manager said at the last doctor's meeting there was a lot of talk about me. She said that a few of the doctors may start to push the idea of going to school and becoming licensed because they think it would be a big benefit to me. She agreed. I also agree, but have become so comfortable that it has never been a priority. She also said there was talk of making me the next "lead" technician (we have a group of them - there are 5 others) if I was up for it.

The deal is that my clinic will pay for school if I agree to stay there for so many years after graduation. It works out to two years of work for every one year of school. The program is two years, but I have prereqs I'd have to do first... it may end up being 4-6 years of work after graduation. If not, I just have to pay the difference when I leave. Its a really good opportunity.

I've been saying for years that I would be so much more confident in different areas of my job (mostly, anesthesia) if I were to go to school. And while I'm almost at the top at my current job, without a license I have to start at the bottom anywhere else I decide to work, and some clinics may not even hire me as a technician without the license.

So I'm starting the process. Trying to set up an appointment to meet with and talk to the director of the program. Going to see what I have to do to get started and if I think I will be able to handle the schedule and maintain full time at work (cutting back hours is NOT an option financially)

One thing I had said to her while we were talking is that I LOVE my job, I can't imagine doing anything else, but I do feel like I am looked down on by being 26 years old with *just* a high school diploma. I feel I am better than that and now I think I'm ready to make it happen

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 04:03 PM
Banned

What's an LVT?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 04:06 PM
Cool Cat

Wow- sounds like a great opportunity to expand your knowledge and career aspirations all while having a paying job! Good luck, I wish I had an opportunity like that!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 04:07 PM
Cool Cat

licensed vet tech I believe?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
Yes, Licensed Veterinary Technician

I've been doing this for almost 7 years now. It is my passion. I adore it.

I've been working in emergency veterinary medicine for 2 1/2 years and can't imagine wanting to go back to day practice. Its always changing, rarely boring and I am constantly seeing cases I could never have imagined! It is also far more heartbreaking, but I have come to truley embrace euthanasia. There are many tragic accidents that we see that can not be helped in any other way. There is pain and suffereing that we can ease away. And there are pets who have lived LONG lives who are ready to be let go.

I do miss routine puppy and kitten visits - watching as families come in with new little bundles of joy and getting to see them grow. I also miss getting to know owners as they bring in their pets year after year, and getting to comfort them and cry along with them when they finally say good bye.

But on a day to day basis, I find my job more rewarding and satisfying than anything I have ever done.

There are actually specialties that LVTs can work toward. Our nursing supervisor is hoping to become the first LVT that is certified in emergency and critial care in the state So while I am currently at my limit as far as career advancement as I stand now, becoming licensed will open a door to so many more possibilities! (the bigger paycheck is more than welcome too!!)

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 04:45 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsnobunnieO View Post
(the bigger paycheck is more than welcome too!!)

Uh huh, now we see the real reason!! LOL

But seriously, that is one of the reasons I don't want to get "stuck" permanently in my current job!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 07:35 PM
Premier Cat

Good for you! That sounds like a great opportunity. I wish you the best of luck in your studies.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 08:17 PM
Cat Addict

It won't be easy but the reward will be SO worth it! Education is never a waste of time. Congratulations and good luck to you.

Sue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 12:30 AM
Premier Cat

ZOMGwhatanawesomeopportunitypresentedtoyoubyyourem ployers! What a great pat-on-the-back that is, to have them believing in you and wanting to help you achieve a goal that benefits *both* parties. Wow!

ps ... I've tried to edit it twice ... but 'employers' keeps showing up as 'em ployers' when it is posted, even though it looks correct in the reply-window.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 05:17 PM
Cat Addict

That's great! For me.. I want to be a school psychologist.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page