DNA breed test - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

DNA breed test

I'm pretty sure everybody already knows about dog DNA testing... here's an article about the results in a survey/census

DNA breeds in mutts

I wonder if you can get a cat tested? I would love to know which exact breed(s) my kitties come from! Though it might be waaayy far down the line... Paizly was a feral 10 years ago, and now my current ferals probably wouldn't even go back far enough on the chart. Nebbie, I have no idea, as I don't know her past at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 08:38 PM
Cat Addict

Hmm.. I never even hear about DNA testing on animals. Only on people.. Very interesting.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator

There is no DNA test for cat breeds at this time. Unlike most dog breeds, the differences between most cat breeds are quite subtle..I think it will be very difficult to develop cat breed DNA tests.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 02:35 PM
Jr. Cat

The way that dog breed DNA test works is described on the company's page and it looks pretty worthless to me.
I guess with cats it might even be less accurate because you see certain markers that have been identified in certain breeds show up in other breeds eventually all the time, which is not very surprising because purebreds are sometimes outcrossed to other breeds.

Even though you can not test your cat to identify its breed, there have been a lot of health and color DNA tests available for years now, and their number is rapidly increasing.

My Ernesto and Mimosa come from a farm and even though I have seen their mom I have often wondered about the rest of their ancestors.
Since feline DNA tests became an easy (swab, not blood) and affordable thing ($39 for a lot of health & color tests combined at one lab) I have been wanting to send their DNA off for a test, but I never got around to doing it.
I would be most interested in which alleles of the longhair gene they have, since there are several versions and some versions are most often found in specific breeds. It would never give a definitive answer though.

Since I attended a lecture by genetics professor Leslie Lyons I've started storing DNA from every cat that comes into the house, you never know when it might come in handy in the future.
It's also something strongly recommended to breeders; store DNA from all your breeding animals and all the kittens that leave your home. Once they are gone their DNA might be hard to come by if you would ever need it in the future.

How to collect DNA;
- write the data of the cat on an envelope
- take a cotton swab (q-tip)
- insert the swab into the mouth of the cat between the gum and the cheek and twirl it several times.
- hold the swab until it is dry
- put several swabs from the same cat in the envelope and seal it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 12:40 AM
Cat Addict

The dog breed analysis type DNA tests are a crock and waste of money.

You've all seen moxie right? According the Mars wisdom panel, she is a basset hound X beagle as one parent and a CKC spaniel X Siberian husky for the other parent.

yeah....about that. Its like they just threw darts at an AKC breed poster and those are the breeds they wrote down.

its bunk.

Here's Moxie and pics of the other breeds listed for comparison. You don't have to know much about dog genetics to know that this DNA "Analysis" is bogus.

Siberian Husky

CKC spaniel

Beagle

Basset Hound

There is also a funny video on Youtube where a pitbull owner chronicles her journey with the DNA tests that concluded her dog was definitely a border collie. Utter non-sense!

Rachael with Thurston, Sully and Ninja.

Puzzles and Tyler, Gone but never forgotten
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 12:46 AM
Super Moderator

I'm surprised that with her spots, they didn't throw a dalmatian in the mix.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

I'm not much of a dog person, but I don't see ANY hound in Moxie o_O
I would think more like border collie and/or blue heeler (or other herding dog)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 08:19 AM
Premier Cat

I definitely see the CKC spaniel in her

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page