World's worst pet sitter needs transfusion!! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

World's worst pet sitter needs transfusion!!

Tonight I only had 2 flagyl pills left to get into Mia. One tonight. One tomorrow.

She's been so skittish with me after I pilled her badly that I decided I'd bring in an expert after this morning's attempt resulted in a pill spit out 4 times and turned to mush so I called a pet sitter who claims to be able to do meds. She laughed at my not being able to pill Mia and said she was REALLY good at it. I assumed she was smooth like a Vet tech and it would be no drama.

Mia ran from my lap when she knocked at the door and I should have known what was up when Fay didn't approach or like her. Fay loves eveyyone. I let her give Fay her antihistimine. Not good. Straight down the front hard. Fay ran and hid.

Okay, I might as well get it over with and get Mia's pill out of the way. This visit cost me $20.

Cathing Mia was a feat. I finally blocked her into the formal living room with a screen. She hit that screen hard 3 times flying around the room before she tried to go up the fireplace and I captured her there.

Expert pet sitter slammed the pill down her throat from the front while I held Mia . Mia gagged because her finger was so far down her throat. I was still holding Mia when I saw the blood on her head. I was shocked. Not to worry say's expert pet sitter "It's mine". It was. She was bleeding like a stuck pig as she she showed me her business materials and tried to sell me future pet sitting.

I've never been so much as scratched by either of my girls. Vet techs handle them so smoothly.

Fay has never hidden before but she crawled up into my recliner and hid there. I couldn't find Mia till after Fay came out 30 minutes later because she was farther up in the recliner. I won't be getting any kitty love tonight.

I hope expert pet sitter knows a good cleaner for her car 'cause she was still bleeding profusely when she left.

I'll do tomorrow's pill.

The last time people tried to elimate free roaming cats it resulted in The Black Plague.

Last edited by Dave_ph; 04-14-2011 at 09:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 09:47 PM
Senior Cat

Just read something about this yesterday. You are supposed to 'water' a cat after you pill them because otherwise it can get stuck at the bottom of their esophagus and be really irritating. Also with water going down to, there is no way for them to cough it back up.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 10:56 PM
Cool Cat

This is why I like to do liquids whenever possible. If I have to do pills, I then try to get ones that can either be crushed or capsules opened and sprinkled on food. Failing that, I try to make pilling as nice as possible. I hide it in food... though I did have one cat at the sanctuary who kept spitting it out, and I just shoved it in the back of his mouth and held his muzzle shut until he swallowed. His sister took the pill and didn't even act like she cared whether it had food or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

I did have a syring of water ready. EPS said "No I like to get this done in one step". Before arriving she'd also so it was an easy 'one person operation'.

Vet techs can do it so smoothly. In from the side during a scruff. Then a tiny bit of water from the syringe or rub on the throat. Was there also a blow on the nose trick? They know how to get a cat to reflexively swallow.

There was a liquid version of the meds but for this med it's a mistake. You have to get that back in their throat or it foams when it hits saliva. Mia and I ended up covered in saliva from that so I switched to a pill.

Fay's Cipro was a liquid med and she took that easily. Pilling her is a nightmare.

Mia s rubbing at my legs again but she flinches when I go to touch her head to pet her.

I'm going to start vetting pet sitters just to have one on deck. I'll be doing a brutal interview to insure that I find a cat person.

One pill to go.

The last time people tried to elimate free roaming cats it resulted in The Black Plague.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 09:27 AM
Premier Cat

I wonder what the pet sitter's clients are going to think when she shows up today swathed in bandages .

Thank goodness there is only one pill to go.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 10:53 AM
Cat Addict

oh dear...sounds like fun was had for by all..not!

I swear Monty is just the same when I try, he turns into a hissing scrathing fury..at the vets he will sit still and let them pill him with no fuss
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

That's it. At the Vet they're docile. My vet offerd to pill her if I bring her in but I want to avoid the trauma of the carrier and car ride.

One more pill!!!

The the pool deck that was the probable source of the infection get's openned to the kitties Saturday afternoon with disinfected deck furniture and new towels. All will be right with the kitty world soon.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 11:38 AM
Cat

My vet sells a pill popper. You put the pill on top and it has a plunger type thing to *pop* the pill into the cat's mouth. It's worked like a charm for me. Do you have one of those?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

I do. The pill falls out during the struggle. I do better with my fingers

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 12:51 PM
Cat Addict

I agree that is the worse pet sitter ever! And after that, she had the gull to sell her future services? It's like no thanks.

The way my vet taught me was to hold Miu's head so that the nose points to the sky, open the mouth, pop it down the hatch, then close her mouth. He says in that position, she's forced to swallow.

Since I am not as much of an expert as he is, I did manage to get it done correctly the first time, but after that, there were times where I had to go thru a few tries cuz she spit it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page