I'm feeling annoyed today - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

I'm feeling annoyed today

Does it bother you when you seem to be the only one on the ball? I find personal responsibility lacking these days. It appears I'm the only one in the office who is willing to dish out about $25 for a second phone charger. I think I'm going to have to start charging for its use. I lent it to one person who figured out they can just keep asking me every time instead of using their own. I don't know how the second person found out. I don't even talk to them except for the occasional nod down the hall. For some reason, although they make roughly the same amount of money I do AND they need to charge their phone regularly, they do not seem to want to spend money on this necessity.

The two main reasons I don't like lending to people is that the lent items either don't come back or they come back in a reduced state. I've lent books that came back dog-earred, cds that come back scratched etc etc. Perhaps I may be asking for perfection, but all I ask is that people learn to take care of themselves instead of relying on others. It's annoying when you know the other person is fully capable of finding the solution on their own without bothering you, yet they do.

What would you do then if you were fed up with it? Can you actually say no, I prefer not to lend things to people? Everyone expects you to gallantly hand over the object with no fuss and if you don't, then you're being uptight. So let me get this straight. I was willing to pay $25+ for an extra charger just so the two of you can borrow it freely although you're both entirely financially capable of doing that yourself? Then you're going to spread the word and I'll find like 10 other people on my doorstep asking for its use. It's like those FB parties that get out of hand. I think I'll nip it at the bud by taking the friggen thing home and refrain from charging at work before it snowballs. I was already slightly put off with that first person constantly coming over to borrow it, the second person was the last straw.

/rant end
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 02:38 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I think taking it home is the best idea. It's your property!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 02:40 PM
Cat Addict

When it comes to something like a phone charger, I would just tell people flat out: Sorry, but my phone needs to be charged a lot./I like to keep my phone constantly plugged in./I've had problems with some people not returning the charger when I need it, so I'd rather not lend it out. ... or a varitation of these answers. It's your phone charger. Tell them to buy one on eBay from China for 2 dollars.

I don't lend out anything any longer, unless it's something like a pencil. The last time I lent a book was to my best friend, her of all people I thought I could trust with my stuff. They were the boxset of the first three Harry Potter books, hardcover. I never saw them again, and this was several years ago. When I asked her about them, more than once, she'd say "I don't know what happened to them... I gave them to my mom to read... ask her?" - I see her mom maybe once every few months. So, yeah. I never lend anything out anymore.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Along with the dogs
and
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 02:42 PM
Tom Cat

Oh my, I would be VERY annoyed. Time to tell them to buy their own. Or make sure your phone is always charged for the day and leave the charger at home. That's what I would do.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Sigh. I specifically got the 2nd charger so I don't have to worry about my batteries running out. It was convenient to keep one at home and one in the office. I guess this has to come to an end now.

Thanks guys. It's nice to know I'm not the only one. Society norms make you feel like you're not being a sport or you're a tightwad if you make a big deal out of something like this. But who's the tightwad here? It's themselves!

I did suggest to the 2nd person to buy a cheap 3rd party one for the office. They made it like it was a risky move because it might not work as well as the original one. Like what if it doesn't charge as well? Um, yeah. If you're down to like 20% batteries, it's really just your emergency backup until you get home to your original one. If you're so cheap you're unwilling to buy the real one, then just suck it up and risk with a $2.00 3rd party one. Geez.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 03:25 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpaca View Post
I did suggest to the 2nd person to buy a cheap 3rd party one for the office. They made it like it was a risky move because it might not work as well as the original one. Like what if it doesn't charge as well?
I've bought iPhone chargers from China on eBay, two of them. I've been using them every day for 6 months. They look pretty much identical and work just as well. For me, it wasn't about being cheap, it was about not getting ripped off -- 50+ dollars for a cable and a plug, just because it's made by Apple, is way over the top to me.

Along with the dogs
and
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 03:28 PM
Cat Addict

Yeah, thats ridiculous. You have every right to feel annoyed. I no longer lend things out, even something as small as a book. Every time I have lent something, it always comes back with something wrong with it, or I have to keep pestering he person to get it back because they 'forgot'.

My boyfriend and I lent our extra GPS to a friend to use for a couple of weeks like 8 months ago. We got the GPS back finally last month...but he mysteriously lost the mount, so now we have to hold it in our laps or set it in a cup holder. Very very annoyed about that...
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 03:35 PM
Cat Addict

I have people ask to use my charger I have at work, but I insist that they charge their phone in my office and I will IM them if it rings. To prevent people from "borrowing" it when I'm not around I lock it in my desk. I did have it zip-tied to my desk but someone broke the charger while voilently trying to free it. I did find (through the rumor mill) who broke it and thankfully got a decent replacement.

Charging per use sounds like a great idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Bandit View Post
My boyfriend and I lent our extra GPS to a friend to use for a couple of weeks like 8 months ago. We got the GPS back finally last month...but he mysteriously lost the mount, so now we have to hold it in our laps or set it in a cup holder. Very very annoyed about that...
Make him pay for a new mount. He admits he lost it right?
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 04:10 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by raecarrow View Post
Make him pay for a new mount. He admits he lost it right?
Oh he admits it. He won't buy a new one though because, "it's around here somewhere!" He thinks because he's a friend he can get away with it. I say, either find it and give it back, or get us a new one, like you said. Annoying when friends think they can walk all over you...
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 04:36 PM
Cool Cat

Ugh, that is one of my major pet peeves! I think it comes down to people being cheap/not having enough respect for you to take good care of your property. That is probably the biggest/only issue that I've had with my flatmate (she was also my college roommate). She's lost a lot of things that she borrowed from me, or broke them, or I just find them lying on the floor to be stepped on (and she is SUPER clumsy/absent-minded!) I've gotten so that I remind her to take care of things when I give it to her & then ask for it back as soon as she should be done; however, it's really annoying because I shouldn't have to remind her of normal people etiquette. I think there is no problem with you straight-out telling your co-workers that they need to buy their own chargers or you will be charging them for part of the cost. Or, the two of them could go half-ies on a charger & share it amoungst themselves. You shouldn't have to hide your charger/take it back home just because they can't get their act together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page