Scrapbooking? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Scrapbooking?

Does anyone here do scrapbooking? I've been looking for a new after-work hobby, specifically something art-related, but different enough from my actual animation/illustration work that I don't get burnt out. I thought maybe something like scrapbooking would be a fun, light, craftsy sort of thing.

I'm reading up on it, and figuring out where to get started. I decided the cats would make an excellent first album topic since I have so many photos of them. This is all still pretty new to me though. While I'm obviously no stranger to art in general (having a degree in it and working in the field) more abstract design projects have never been my specialty. This should be a fun challenge!

Anyone have any tips? Scrapbooking stories to share? Or photos of your own layouts? I'd love to see them!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 01:24 AM
Cool Cat

I've always wanted to get into scrapbooking, but it is so expensive! I would never be able to resist all of the fancy papers, stickers, rub-ons, hole punches, embossing, notebooks, etc. Plus, I just have too many other artsy hobbies going on at the moment. I hope you have a fun time with it though!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 02:31 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

I'm hoping I can cut costs by making some of my own supplies (i.e. making patterned paper in Photoshop and stuff) because yeah, between the cats and the fish, the last thing I need right now is another expensive hobby.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 08:56 AM
Cool Cat

fish? I didn't realize you have fish. What kinds do you have?

I bet the photoshop paper would be neat. Scrapbooking itself probably isn't that expensive; I just tend to go a little crazy whenever I'm in the art store. I've gotten so that I only allow myself to go to certain sections of the store (paint, glass, jewelry, baking supplies atm).
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 09:27 AM
Jr. Cat

I should try getting back into art.. I use to be semi-decent when I was really young.. Now if I draw a picture of a dog or cat, it looks like a 3 year old drew it (no joke!). I was going to respond last night and upload pictures I've drew for hilarious proof, but I can't find them anywhere and I deleted them off of my facebook.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimkris View Post
fish? I didn't realize you have fish. What kinds do you have?

I bet the photoshop paper would be neat. Scrapbooking itself probably isn't that expensive; I just tend to go a little crazy whenever I'm in the art store. I've gotten so that I only allow myself to go to certain sections of the store (paint, glass, jewelry, baking supplies atm).
I currently have fancy guppies, two dwarf gouramis, a school of neon tetras, and 3 little otos. Sadly I'm limited with how much I can add right now as I only have a 30 gallon tank. When I have the time, space, and money, I really want to do a second tank devoted to the larger species of gourami...maybe breed pearl gouramis or something. I've always been really into marine biology/fish/sealife so this is how I indulge that interest. They're just such pretty creatures!

And yeah I can see how that'd be a problem! I love those little 3D stickers sold at Michaels and card stores and I can see myself wanting to buy a lot of those. Hopefully I can just make as many of my supplies as possible to keep things reasonable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranogon View Post
I should try getting back into art.. I use to be semi-decent when I was really young.. Now if I draw a picture of a dog or cat, it looks like a 3 year old drew it (no joke!). I was going to respond last night and upload pictures I've drew for hilarious proof, but I can't find them anywhere and I deleted them off of my facebook.
I'd love to see them if you can find them! Art is one of those things where practice is obviously a big part of it. You may find that your skills come back pretty quickly once you start doing it again. I find that whenever I stop drawing a particular subject for a while, it looks terrible the next time I try, but after a little practice I can get better at it again pretty quickly. Figure drawing is probably my best example of this. When I am actively taking figure drawing classes, my figure drawings are great! But when I stop doing it for a while, any attempts to draw any kind of humanoid figure come out awful like I never took an anatomy class in my life. It's weird.

I've actually been working on some cat art this weekend. I was thinking about posting them on the forum when I finish.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 11:43 PM
Cool Cat

I love guppies. I will say that if you got a male & female, you can pretty much expect some babies at some point! It so funny to see too since they are live birth fish.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimkris View Post
I love guppies. I will say that if you got a male & female, you can pretty much expect some babies at some point! It so funny to see too since they are live birth fish.
Yup! I've got a nice little family going on there. I actually originally got the gouramis for population control, since I know how...fertile guppies can be. They do a nice job of keeping the population manageable while still allowing a small family line to continue. It's like I have my own little working ecosystem in there!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page