An interesting perdicament... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Question An interesting perdicament...

So... I have an interesting problem...
I'm watching/bidding on a few things on ebay, looking for some good deals, and for one of the items I texted the seller to ask about it, and since he seemed willing, continued to have friendly conversation with him, maybe he would sell me other things in the future, etc.
Um, so I kinda turned out to be the only bidder at $5 (way less than the item would fetch otherwise) and he texted me this morning saying "Were you the only bidder?" and I said "I think so, why?"

Should I play innocent and not say anything else, or should I tell him how the method of shipping I suggested to him only costs around $2 (instead of $10+) or should I tell him "eBay hasn't really been a good place for sellers lately, possibly you should try here or here"?
If I tell him the second one, should I include 'so you really made $20 instead of just 5'?

I don't know what to do, I really wanted to be able to trade with him in the future.. >__<
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 05:08 PM
Banned

You won the bid at $5 right? Then you pay 5, plus whatever postage is... What have I missed?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 05:27 PM
Cat Addict

I don't understand the problem...? Is he gouging in shipping?

You have to pay the shipping amount, right? So what's the difference to him? You should ask for the cheapest shipping possible in that case.

Or is he offering free shipping?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Along with the dogs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

Last edited by Carmel; 04-16-2011 at 05:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

<___<
I guess the point of this wasn't clear.
It seemed to me that by asking 'were you the only bidder?' he is: 1 wondering why he didnt get more bids (and more money) 2. wondering why I would be so nice to him and then only pay him $5 for an item that is worth much more.

I don't want him to think 'what a b****, ripped me off!' because I want to be able to buy/sell with him in the future.

Make more sense?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 12:25 AM
Super Moderator

I've never used eBay, but shouldn't he know whether or not you were the only bidder?

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 12:32 AM
Premier Cat

He would know if you were the only bidder. All items show how many bidders and how much their bid was.

Why are you worried about him being mad you only paid $5 for an item? It was based on a price HE set..... if he wanted MORE than $5 for it he would have set the minimum bid higher than that.....
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 03:45 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73 View Post
I've never used eBay, but shouldn't he know whether or not you were the only bidder?
I think he is kind of a noob <__<
Quote:
Originally Posted by MowMow View Post
He would know if you were the only bidder. All items show how many bidders and how much their bid was.

Why are you worried about him being mad you only paid $5 for an item? It was based on a price HE set..... if he wanted MORE than $5 for it he would have set the minimum bid higher than that.....
I think he was expecting a lot more and because we were being friendly, maybe felt ripped off by me >__<
Also, noob status.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 02:38 PM
Banned

You won the bid at $5. Pay that, $2 post and nothing else. It's entirely his fault if he wanted more. Don't feel bad for him. Oh and if you just give him more, you're breaking ebay rules anyway. If he askes for more, he can get banned.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 04:51 PM
Cool Cat

I agree with Krissy.
E-bay has a list of bidders (in fact, bidders themselves - not just sellers - can see how many people they are competing with!), so he should know that.
If he wanted to make $20 (or whatever), he should set the starting price at that.
When I run my auctions I do an auction price starting at $0.99 AND I have a "buy it now" price at $10. Some people (like me) are too impatient to wait 7 days for bidding to end (plus the days for shipping to actually get the thing!) and are willing to spend a little more for the convenience of guaranteeing they get the item.

Also, shipping prices can be tricky. For instance, I am honest and only charge $5. This is $4.90 for the box, and the ten cents for tape, stuffing and any other materials I may need to secure the item so it's not damaged if the postal workers were to drop it or throw it in the truck, or something.
Some people do "shipping and handling", or "shipping and processing", which could include the postage price, the price of boxes and other packaging materials, their TIME for getting it ready to go to the post office, the gas to get to the post office, etc.... so yes, $20 could be a real shipping price, depending on exactly what is being charged for. Also, postage for overnight delivery, or next day, or even 3 days is a lot higher than regular postage to have things sent "slowly" (I always chose normal, and usually get things within a week anyway)
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

I already paid the $5 + $20 shipping, and he's not asking for more money, I just wanted advice on what to say (or not to say) to him to keep the vibes between us friendly...

The dog may be wonderful prose, but only the cat is poetry. - French Proverb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page