Power is back on - for now - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Power is back on - for now

Power had been off since a little after 3 p.m. Driving home was a freaking nightmare, just getting out of downtown with no traffic lights was bad enough, getting off the freeway and taking the city streets home was even worse. And of course this had to happen during the hottest day of the summer, which surprisingly had nothing to do with the outage. At work, we thought it was a brown-out due to overuse, but it wasn't.

Little bits and pieces of neighborhoods are getting power back, but it could go out again. We heard on the way home that it could last until Saturday for some areas.

I've been reading by candlelight on my bed with my little girls keeping me company.

Quote:
A major power outage knocked out electricity to up to 5 million people in California, Arizona and Mexico on Thursday, bringing San Diego and Tijuana to a standstill and leaving people sweltering in the late-summer heat in the surrounding desert.

The problem extended from southern Orange County south to Mexico's Baja peninsula and east to Yuma, Ariz. The brunt was felt by the city of San Diego; 1.4 million customers served by San Diego Gas & Electric Co. were without electricity. Arizona utilities reported about 56,000 without power.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 01:33 AM
Premier Cat

Gosh that is awful. Is it really hot at your house? It was 107 in Tucson. We did have electricity which I'm grateful for. Our electricity goes out during the monsoons. But the electric company is on top of it right away.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Thank you, Arizona Moron!

Quote:
The utility says an Arizona Public Service employee removing a piece of monitoring equipment that was causing problems may have inadvertently caused the outage. Operator error was determined to be the initiating event.
Quote:
The power loss should have been limited to the Yuma, Ariz., area. The power company, Arizona Public Service, was investigating why the outage wasn't contained.

"This was not a deliberate act. The employee was just switching out a piece of equipment that was problematic," said Dan Froetscher, a vice president at APS.
Yes, one person did this.

And yes, it's the hottest day of the year here (so far).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 01:39 AM
Cat Addict

Send a message via MSN to tanyuh
YIKES! I'm SO GLAD I live in Holland now - it's been 70F and raining the entire summer All these grumpy Hollanders (except me) should be happy, it's 587476365575884 times better than what you guys in the SW US are getting! My cousin in Phoenix posted a picture of her thermometer and it said 52C..... I'm not sure exactly what that is in degrees F, but it's pretty *&$^ing hot!!

Stay safe and don't melt away everyone, and be sure both you AND your pets keep hydrated!

"Good Kitty, Samhainy."
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

I'm so proud of our city, people are checking on neighbors, sharing their food and water, and gas! Because with no electricity, you can't pump any gas, and the highways were absolutely gridlocked. Some of the grocery stores and mini-markets were giving free water to people who are stranded.

And no looting or any troublemakers out there. It would be so easy, cops are at intersections directing traffic and going door-to-door to check on the elderly and those with medical conditions who need electricity and assistance.

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 02:00 AM
Tom Cat

Wow, that's crazy! I hope everyone is okay! Serves me right for not having a television, I didn't even know! Stay cool!

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 02:03 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Well, I don't know if it's big news anywhere except here.

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 02:05 AM
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73 View Post
Well, I don't know if it's big news anywhere except here.
Funny, sometimes I feel like that about Canada I would think 5 million people without power would have made the news though!
Ummm...how are your interwebs working?

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 02:06 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Power's back on, so it's all good. But all San Diego schools are closed tomorrow, which is going to make things difficult for working parents. The power's not back on downtown yet, so I'm not sure if I'm going into work, guess I'll call in tomorrow morning....

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 02:08 AM
Tom Cat

Oh geez, silly me, I didn't see that part. Thought you had some magic kind of phone...or something. I hope with power comes AC! I would have died this summer without AC.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page