Arthritis in back legs - dogs - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Arthritis in back legs - dogs

Sorry, maybe wrong area, but desprately wanting to help my firends dog. he has arthritis in his back legs, which over time is getting worse.

Its not to the point of the inevitable yet... but im just wondering what are osme tips to put that off as long as possible???

Currently he uses glucosamine, but not everyday. maybe about 2 or 3 times a week??

Im just wondering if we should make an effort (they live next door) to do that everyday, or something better to use instead, or in combination with?? basically only gets it now when hes extra limpy. but would preventative be better?

Thanks!!

He helps me deal with not having a dog anymore myself, hes kind of mine but doesnt live with me. so im reeeeeeeeeeaalllly hoping theres something out there to try. other than that hes perfectly healthy, and even a little spoiled

like i said its not to that point, yet, but we are all wanting to put it off as long as humanly (or, dogly? ) possible. we notice him getting older and we dont like it! I hope someone has been in these shoes and understands/can offer advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 08:22 AM
Senior Cat

Glusoamine every day, find one with chondrition (sp?) and MSM as well. Diatameceous Earth daily, bovine colostrum daily, apple cider vinegar (with the mother) daily, and fish oils daily. Keeps my kitty with severe arthritis in his hip, and my chihuahua with luxating knees in no pain and the vet is happy with the lack of progress the various items have had!

Sorry, also, for my dog (knees) we do hyro therapy (in the bathtub)... duno if that's an option.

Kelly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 07:28 PM
Cat Addict

In order for glucosamine to work it has to be given daily. It builds up over time and won't really be any use for at least 2-3 weeks. So if they want it to help they have to dose more often.

One way to get them to have glucosamine in a yummy form is raw bones. Especially duck/chicken feet. Cartilidge is high in natural, raw, glucosamine. It's much easier for the body to use this than in another form.
Also get the dog on a senior food (or better yet, feed a smaller amount of a large breed formula). He needs to eat less calories, but senior and large breed formulas have glucosamine added to them, to support joint health.

Keeping to dog at a healthy weight also helps, if he's too pudgy then that puts extra strain on his joints. Walking on grass, or swimming would be the two best exercises to help reduce weight without hurting joints. Don't ever push a dog with arthrisis to do more than it wants, that'll just cause an injury or make the arthritis worse.

If it's quite bad talking to a vet about pain meds is also a good idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Which brand of food would you recommend? are there financially friendly options??

He is a larger breed, so that is a risk factor all on its own.

Are there specific supplement brands you would recommend?
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

just had a thought, would we be any better off going to a pet store?? Do they make pet supplements at all?
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 08:31 AM
Senior Cat

Brands are hard to say, I dont worry about brands.. I just go to a HUMAN health food store, and buy them. Anything you find at a petstore will likely be overpriced, and a lower quality than the stuff at the human health food store.

Kelly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

what about the food though, with glucosamine in it? is there a good or bad brand?
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 08:58 PM
Cat Addict

Most foods with glucosamine added don't have enough in it to be of any therapeutic value. You are better off with a supplement. Glucosamine isn't a pain reliever, over time it causes the body to make a faux-cartilage to cover the ends of hte joints and provide cushion. The dog really needs pain medication. They make several NSAIDS for dogs that can give dogs like this one a new lease on life. Rimadyl, Metacam, etc. There are also narcotic pain meds that he can take that are inexpensive and very effective, like Tramadol. Has your neighbor taken his dog to a vet? This would be the place to start. He doesn't have to be miserable, and he doesn't have to die from this.

Meanwhile, he needs to be sleeping on thick padded surfaces. He needs to keep moving, slow, short frequent walks. With arthritis, if you don't use it (movement) you lose it.

Rachael with Thurston, Sully and Ninja.

Puzzles and Tyler, Gone but never forgotten
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

ok, so the food is out, thats alright. thats kinda what i was thinking. he does get tylenol if its a worse day whcih actually does seem to help also! but, i was wondering... i read on teh bottle about how it takes about 4 weeks to see the effects, was wondering why that was. makes sense if the new tissue needs time to build up! makes much sense.

He is a very determined guy, stll has such a hop in his step and in his eyes, hes still so happy. which is why i know its not too late. if he wasnt happy anymore htan i know its just wrong.

Hasnt yet had a vet visit for that, i could be wrong but i think it was the glucosamine that the vet said when he was there?

will have to check on that
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 04:37 AM
Cool Cat

Vets here will often give a course of Cartrophen injections for arthritic dogs. It's one shot every week for 4 weeks. It can make a pretty significant difference in some dogs. But it would usually be recommended to keep up with the glucosamine as well.

Bec

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page