Photos..old school. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Photos..old school.

Anyone out there take regular pictures anymore? Old school 35MM film that has to be developed?

I used to be an avid photographer and recently (packing for the move) found my old Canon EOS 630. I remembered how much I loved that camera and started fiddling with it during SO's trip. I had so much fun (despite not having the instant gratification of looking at the picture immediately). Now I have 5 or 6 rolls of film to develop and had a few questions.

1)Where do you get them developed? I used to use a local lab in NJ when I lived there but I'm not having luck finding a lab that impresses me here. Do you take them to your local Walgreen's (if so, how is their quality) or do you send them off somewhere.

2) Do you prefer getting them on CD so you can fiddle with them or on paper and trust the lab?

3) Have you tried snapfish or shutterfly or Mpix. Those are companies that send you mailers and you send in your film and they develop it for you.... How is their quality?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 09:38 AM
Banned

I know the Wal-Mart here does it still. You have to wait a week though because they send them off. I dont know the quality of their prints though.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 11:39 AM
Cat Addict

That is a good question. My sister just found a ton (well not really but a lot) of rolls of film in my mother's belongings. I would love to get these developed and see what she collected over the years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 01:52 PM
Nan
Cool Cat

I haven't taken any film pictures since I got my digital camera. (It's a Nikon D70s so that's been some time ago & prior to that a Nikon coolpix 4500) I used to get mine developed at a local camera store (Roberts) & get both prints & a cd, but I don't know if they still offer that service.

I think mpix is fine, but buying prints from Snapfish certainly is cheaper. It looks like Walgreens & Walmart sends theirs off to Snapfish. You probably just need to try them & see. I just looked on shutterfly's website & can't see that they offer film developing; if so it must really be buried on the site.

If it's slide film, you can still buy Fuji mailers from Adorama. (also B&H)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 02:16 PM
Nan
Cool Cat

My film camera is a Nikon N80. I loved that camera! I remember being blown away at the difference in the quality of the pictures with that camera vs the old point & shoot camera I had prior.

It's sitting on my closet floor in a case. The resale value is negligible. But I can use some of the same lenses on my digital camera.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 02:42 PM
Cat Addict

I don't take pictures the old fashioned way but some people still do! My mother works in the photo industry, she color corrects pictures in the lab (some people ask for her to do their photos since they can tell the difference when someone else color corrects them), I would say most of their clients are professional photographers (schools, weddings, etc.) but they also get a lot of vacation photos, and film that's been sitting around for a couple of years that people want done and pictures taken from digital that the costumers want printed professionally on photo paper.

1) I give film to my mom. The lab she works in is just about the last professional lab in area, the only lab to even print certain formats, they've outlasted the rest of the photo labs. While most people get their flim printed at Costco or London Drugs, if anyone wants a quality job where you pay a little more they go to the lab my mom works at.

2) Recently my grandfather wanted a few pictures scanned and reprinted and my mom gave him CD as well. I liked that since you could keep the pictures on the computer as well, and since I like photoshop I would want the option to fiddle with them myself.

3) Never heard of them.

Along with the dogs
and

Last edited by Carmel; 10-17-2011 at 02:45 PM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 03:17 PM
Premier Cat

I like Mpix, though I haven't used the others. I find Mpix to provide consistent quality, and I get my prints back quickly.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Geri, I was glad you jumped in I know you're an amazing photographer and wondered who you used.

Thanks all for the suggestions. I'll figure it out and get them sent out today.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 03:45 PM
Premier Cat

Thanks Krissy! I've used WHCC also, but for what I do, I can't stand the way they wrap their packages. I'm sure it would be different if you're only printing small images.

I've seen some of your photos too.........a few anyway, and some would make some nice fine art prints. If you ever want to try some of that with your digitals, let me know, I just started using a really reasonable fine art printer, and his prices are great. All my prints came back just as they look on the monitor!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 03:53 PM
Banned

I still have my old SLR and 200mm telephoto lens for it but haven't used it in years, I've been spoiled by the instant gratification one gets with digital cameras.
I'm the possessor of all the old family photo albums including one that's full of studio portraits all over 100 years old, bad thing is none of the pictures were label.
Luckily my cousin is into genealogy and I scanned all the pictures and sent them to her, she was in contact with distant cousins who still live in the old home town in Kansas and there was a very old family friend who was able to identify many of the people in the photos.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page