Pumpkin Seeds and Kitties - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Pumpkin Seeds and Kitties

Funny story. This morning I decided that I would carve out my pumpkin and prepare my seeds for roasting. I do this every year, but last year at this time, I only had three cats - a more manageable number as far as mischief is concerned. Three of my cats are about 6 months now and those brothers love getting into trouble. Before beginning the process I did a little research about pumpkins, whether or not they are safe for kitties. Best to avoid the raw stuff, and it is okay to offer small amounts of canned (unsweetened) pumpkin to the fluffies. So I pushed in all the chairs and got to work. Little did I know this endeavor would turn into a mini game. Every two seconds I was pushing my kitties down, something about that pumpkin made them all go crazy! They wanted it so bad, I was surprised I managed to keep everything clean and orderly! Needless to say, I don't think I will be leaving my seeds unattended while they dry out - I put two cookie trays over them in case my kitties are too sneaky for me to notice.

Also if anyone is interested in a recipe for pumpkin seeds, I can write mine here. They are actually quite yummy. Happy Early Halloween everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 05:37 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to my5kitties
Please post your recipe. I'm not sure if we're going to have a pumpkin, but if we do, I'd like to roast the seeds.

----------
Renée
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Roasting Pumpkin Seeds

Ingredients
  • · Pumpkin Seeds
  • · 1 Tbsp. Melted Butter
  • · A little Olive Oil or Other Oil
  • · Salt, Garlic Salt, or Seasoning of Choice

Tools
  • · Strainer
  • · Paper Towels
  • · Mixing Bowl
  • · Cookie Sheets
  • · Oven

Step 1: Clean Seeds!

Use a spoon or other tool to empty seeds and pulp into a colander. There are several methods of cleaning seeds, but all usually start with separating the pulp from the seeds. My preferred method is to take the strainer of seeds and run them under hot water. If you have a garage disposal, it helps the process. If not, have your trash can handy. While running the seeds under the hot water, remove as much of the pulp as possible and do your best to leave only the seeds behind. It’s normal for a small amount to be left behind. Some recipes say to boil the seeds in salt water at this point. I don’t usually do that, but if you chose to, it will help remove the remaining pulp and should be removed from the stove when the seeds turn a grey color.

Step 2: Dry Pumpkin Seeds!

Using paper towels lay a few out on the counter and spread your clean seeds in an even layer. This is a good time I use to pick out any small pulp you may have missed when rinsing the seeds. Once they are clean, place another set of paper towels on top. If you are like me and have mischievous kitties, place cookie sheets on top of the seeds to guard them. Allow seeds to dry for at least 6 hours or overnight. I will be leaving mine out for six this year. (It is an option to skip this step and I have in the past. This makes the seeds crunchier but isn’t necessary if you’re in a hurry.)

Step 3: Season and Prep!

Preheat your oven to 250-300.®I bake mine at 250, it just takes longer. Once your seeds are dry, take a mixing bowl and empty your seeds into the bowl. Add butter or oil. (I use butter.) The amounts listed are a guess depending on the amount of seeds you have. You want to coat the seeds, not soak, just enough so they do not stick to your cookie sheet. After you have mixed the seeds and butter together, now is the time to add seasoning. I prefer mine salted, but some people have added garlic salt which it pretty tasty. There are some recipes that even say you can add brown sugar and cinnamon for a sweeter crunch. I have never tried this because my teeth are sensitive but if you’re feeling adventurous, give it a try.

Step 4: Baking Time!

Lay your seeds flat on one or two cookie sheets and be sure they do not overlap one another. Place them in the oven for 45-60 minutes on 250® and 30-45 minutes on 300.® These times can vary depending on your oven and the amount of seeds you have. You want to check on them periodically and remove them when they are a golden, brown.

Let them sit for a few minutes, and then you can store for later or enjoy them right out of the oven!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 08:10 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to my5kitties
Thanks! And I do have a kitchen counter kitty, so I'll have to come up with some ways to keep her off and my seeds undisturbed. lol!!

----------
Renée
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 08:29 PM
Tom Cat

Ooh, I'm stealing this recipe! I've tried to roast some when I was younger, but they didn't come out quite right. THey were good but not good enough haha. Thanks!!

Sidenote, something about vanilla pudding makes Apollo go crazy and he's constantly in my face trying to lick it out of my mouth lol. I had a cat that went crazy over peppermint and anything minty-flavored. She would literally try to stick her face IN your mouth. Silly kitties!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 03:56 PM
Premier Cat

Yay!! I'm going to visit family this weekend, and I'm bringing pumpkins to carve. I wanted to roast the seeds, so thank you for the recipe!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page