Legal Scams - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Thumbs down Legal Scams

I'm pretty angry right now, and I'm only posting this here because some of you may have been/will be hit by this too. Anyone buy things on Amazon? Yeah...most of do right? Well, read on...

I look at my bank account this morning, and there's a $79.00 pending charge for something called "Amazon Prime". Now I have no idea what this is, or why the heck it's coming out of my account, so I'm starting to get a little freaked out. I Googled Amazon Prime and found out it's...you guessed it, from Amazon! Apparently, I'm not the only one that's had this happen to them...there's tons of people on Google yelling about it, and when you call into Amazon's customer service they mention the Amazon Prime thing immediately in the pre-recorded message.

So I called Amazon, and asked why I was charged for something I didn't even know existed until this morning. She said, because I had bought something on Amazon that was "eligible" to sign me up for the Amazon Prime feature...it did...just automatically. They apologized and said they'd refund my account, so we got started on that.

And here's the real kicker. On my Amazon account page, it says, 'You are not currently signed up for Amazon Prime'. So I'm not signed up, but I'm still being charged. So now I have to wait for an investigator to get back to me, because they need to find out what happened. ARRRG! I just want my money back!

Anyways, please, if you do anything with Amazon, make sure to watch yer bank accounts. I'd hate for this to happen to someone else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 06:01 PM
Senior Cat

OH NO!

Checking bank account now....

It would be the most pathetic thing in the world if they do that to me, considering I spent a lotta money on breakaway collars for my four cats that didn't break away...
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 06:34 PM
Nan
Cool Cat

I will have to watch that since I do buy stuff from Amazon (mostly kindle books), but I will say Amazon customer service is really good. So you shouldn't have any problems with a refund.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Heh...turns out this is the second time they've charged us for Amazon Prime, but I missed the first one for some reason...last year, they charged us too...apparently it's a yearly membership. Good news is, customer service was really quick and nice about everything, and both charges are going to be refunded ASAP. So happy ending. Yay!

Hope none of you have to deal with this...if I got charged last year, that means this has been going on for a while, so do a thorough search.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 08:56 PM
Jr. Cat

Wow that's crazy that they would automatically charge you without you signing up! I AM signed up for Amazon Prime, so I expect the yearly charge.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

More than likely you inadvertently signed up for the free one month trial of Prime. If you don't cancel it within the trial period, they charge you at the end of the month.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 11:11 PM
Cat Addict

I have Prime too but it was intentional. Sorry this happened to you!

Becky, the proud momma of:

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 01:38 AM
Cat

This happened to my mom a while ago.
She had only signed up to amazon and purchased 1 item as a present and they signed her up for this!
Luckily she is always on top of checking her bank statements!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 05:38 AM
Banned

We signed up intentionally. It's a great service, however:
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug View Post
More than likely you inadvertently signed up for the free one month trial of Prime. If you don't cancel it within the trial period, they
charge you at the end of the month.
this likely in your case.

Nearly every single 1 month trial for free offer that any company has will automatically start charging UNLESS you tell them you don't want the service.

Oh and it's not a scam.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 10:51 AM
Cat Addict

I signed up for a month intentionally then cancelled. The free second day shipping was nice but the streaming video had pretty limited titles so I dropped it.

It you buy a lot from Amazon it's a good deal but sneaking it in is preyy sleezy.

The last time people tried to elimate free roaming cats it resulted in The Black Plague.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page