Plant Identification - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Plant Identification

When I started my job they had a few patheticly sad houseplants. Does anyone know what these guys might be so I can do some research on how to care for them better?

I though this one was a pine tree of some sort but they tell me it's over 7 years old.... a fern of some sort?

Close up of leaves

This one is really hurting and I'd really like to save it.....

This one is fine It's the one i brought with me but I couldn't leave it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 07:22 PM
Senior Cat

My guess for the top one: Araucaria
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 07:40 PM
Nan
Cool Cat

The first one looks like a Norfolk Pine that was trimmed. The third one Golden Pothos (or varigated philodendrum). Not sure about the second- some kind of dracaena?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 08:27 PM
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan View Post
The first one looks like a Norfolk Pine that was trimmed. The third one Golden Pothos (or varigated philodendrum). Not sure about the second- some kind of dracaena?
Agreed on the first and third - here is a good garden site link I like to the first: The Norfolk Island Pine - a living Christmas tree it's all about the humidty - I've killed a few over the years. Pothos are a personal favorite as they are so forgiving.

My first thought on the second was a dracaena as well but looking at the point where the leaves meet the soil I'm thinking maybe a poorly spider plant? non-varigated... Dracaena usualy grow around a central stem and spider plants are known for being easy to start by the offshoots and look a lot like that when they get dry and are in too low of light for awhile...just my best guess on that one
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

The third is my GOlden Pothos, yeah. I brought her with me when I started the job. She's got a few pots of lovely babies that have really taken hold in smaller pots around the office. The other two just baffle me....I can't place them.

Ok that makes sense for the piney guy. I'll take him out to the sink and give him a good rinse to clear any salts and I'll start misting him and using distilled water when I water his soil. Humidity is scarce in our office since we're a lab they keep the humidity at an even 40% with NO variations. I'll have to mist him a few times a week.

Nora- THe pothos is my favorite too. She's SOO easy to take care off and her makes babies like crazy for me. I just stick three or four cuttings in a water cup for a few weeks then into a pot with a baggie over them for a week and boom.... babies. She's easy to train too, I have her shoots resting on TPins stuck into my cube wall (not through her stalk, just supporting their weight) and she's just climbing her way around the place.

If it IS a spider plant it's not in the best place. We're in an indoor office with NO windows. It does get overwatered, imo. Every time someone empties their water bottle it goes into either the pine tree or the spider plant (as they are on the path that leads to the ice/water machine). I'll move him out of the path of wayward water and put him out on the main floor in a window a few afternoons a week and see if he perks up. I hope it is a spider plant, I've wanted to snitch a few babies off the adult plants every time I"m at the nursery ( No, I don't ever steal them...I just WANT too).
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 09:22 PM
Tom Cat

My guess on the second is a spider plant too. I have two plus tons of babies that have sprouted. I can send you some lol.

Spider plants are good for cats, apparently it has a catnip like effect. My four love it. A little too much lol.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 03:19 PM
Senior Cat

I have one of all those plants at home! My version of the last plant is so long now, it reaches from a high shelf to the floor... far too gangly!

I also think the second one is a rather bedraggled spider plant. A very tough plant though, so with some TLC it'll recover very quickly.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 04:22 PM
Cat Addict

I agree with the others. The first looks so much like the Norfolk Pine my Mom had...it was pretty big (still houseplant sized, but almost 4 ft tall), and we used it for a mini Christmas tree. The second definitely looks like some sort of spider plant with those leaves...like Susan said, they are tough and hardy, and will come back with a little love.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page