Cats and dogs - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Cats and dogs

We have a bevy of cats and dogs: 3 cats, 2 kittens and 6 dogs (three small mongrels and 3 Dobermans.) Two or three of the dogs love to chase cats, and two of the cats are "outside cats", neighborhood strays that I've been feeding and who've become quite friendly: I can pet them and pick them up. But these are the cats that end up getting chased as the dogs seem to know that they don't really belong to us as such.

We're in the process of buying a lot of around 233 square meters or around 2,509 square feet. It's already fenced on three sides by cinderblock walls around 6 feet high. We plan on fencing the front with chain link, and building a small house of under 1,000 square feet total including garage and a small workshop. The house will have three small bedrooms which we'll actually use as indoor kennels. The plan is to have as large of a back yard as possible to give the dogs a place to run around and get some exercise (they're getting fat!)

The problem is what to do about the cats? We want to take the two outside cats with us- I don't want to leave them behind to starve- but there's really nowhere for them to go if they get chased when the dogs are outside. I don't want any of our animals to be able to leave our yard, especially the cats as many people here in the Philippines don't like cats and may harm or poison them. And the two kittens will be all grown up soon, and will also need to be able to run around and play outside. There aren't any trees or shrubs or anything yet: it's just a vacant lot, with some grass and some bare dirt with a few rocks, as it's located in a recently developed subdivision.

I'm looking for ideas about how we can set things up so the cats can have a place of refuge when the dogs are out, without partitioning the (already small after the house is built) yard into "separate but equal" cat and dog areas. Maybe just build some "jungle Jims" or cat trees for the cats to climb on?

Here's an "artist's conception" of our lot and planned house, to give you an idea of how much (or little) room I have to accommodate everybody:

The small room on the left, with the firewall, is the bathroom. The cement area behind it is the "dirty kitchen" and laundry area. (The cement in front of it is the septic tank lid.) There'll be a carport with the shop behind it. That small darker plot surrounded by wrought-iron fencing is a vegetable garden plot. I don't want to make the house too much smaller as it also has to be big enough for the dogs to play in on rainy days: my idea is that we can open the front and back doors, letting them add the dirty kitchen and carport to their romping room, besides the main family room/kitchen.

The dirty kitchen and carport are fenced with 4 or 5 foot tall wrought iron (or something, depending on the cost), providing an extra barrier against escaping dogs should they manage to squeeze out of the doors. The front and back doors also have screen doors to also help contain them. My plan is to only let them out via the back door through the dirty kitchen when I let them go into the yard, so they'll only associate that one door with freedom. I think the outside cats will be living mainly in the carport, but that means making it out of bounds to the dogs. Any other ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 01:56 AM
Cat

Having a little trouble visualizing your plan. The wraught iron fence seperating your garden. Cats can squeeze through small places, giving them roaming previlages. I would make it a cinder block wall. Move the wrought iron fence a couple of meters to the top of your diagram. That would give the cats a safe place on that side of the house. You could even build a small cat house for them in this area.
In the back, I would sink 2 telephone pole in the ground. Here you can odtain broken ones from the telephone or electric company for free. They don't need to be that high so broken ones would work fine. Put a pole horizontaly between the poles so the cats can travel between the poles. I would construct a jungle gym, like you mentioned, on one pole and an enclosed tree house on the other. This would give the cats an escape route from the dogs. The tree house would give them an area to get out of the rain. I would also inculed a tree house with open sides on the other pole to give them some shade.
Not sure how you plan to keep the cats from escaping when you pull the car into the carport.

My cats aren't spoilt, Just well loved.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 11:07 AM
Cat Addict

I'm also having trouble visualizing the floor plan. I'm not sure what to suggest but first, it's really nice of you think of taking the two strays with u. Since you're going to be building anyways, all I can suggest is maybe obtaining inspiration from outdoor cat enclosures. Sites similar to something like this:

Canada Cat Enclosures Home of Habitat Haven
Cat Enclosures - Outdoor Cat Runs - Many Cat Enclosure Pictures
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page