Vegetarian question - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Vegetarian question

Just wondering if theres any "meat" out there that actually truly tastes like meat?? Ive been hating more and more the fact that we eat meat, but on the other hand it does make up a good portion of meals so could we afford nurtitionally to go without??

Ive been trying to eat less an less.

Actually by now, with all the technology we have, im surprised we dont have synthetic meat. Like, real meat, but "grown" in a sense like how doctors can grow replacement organs from stem cells (at least they did in greys anatomy). or like cloning meat almost or something. so that way its the real thing but doesnt cost any more lives. i would love that. keep cloning the clones! lol. never another murder again.

But as far as we have right now... have any of you like, tested anyone and they didnt know the difference (didnt tell them)?

only sucky part is it severely limits fast food too. they rarely have an option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 01:31 AM
Banned

Why not just eat meat? Humans evolved as omnivores, so eating meat is part of what we are. You can opt-out and just eat veggies, of course, but no reason to hate the fact that you still crave that meat flavor—in fact there is a reason you crave it.

One thing you can do is just be conscious of where your meat comes from (if you're worried about factory-farming) and support local growers/farms. But, there's nothing wrong with eating meat as a human. In fact it's quite healthy if done reasonably and some nutrients can only be found in meat (such as vitamin B12).

Sure, there are supplements, but the human body absorbs its vitamins and minerals much better from actual food.

Meat (and some fat) is also linked to human satiety (feeling full), so it's little wonder most professional, non-ideologically-driven diets include meat. I know veganism is trending now but my take it on it is always scientifically-driven. Also, no vegetable is a complete protein, so you have to carefully combine your fruits/vegetables/nuts/seeds to make sure you're getting all the protein (and yes, some fat) that you need.

I do think that there will be synthetic meat before too long and then any ethical vegetarians can eat meat again with impunity.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

well the logical side of my brain says that if i stopped, it wouldnt make a difference as far as how much is produced/ etc. maybe a bit more waste in our house if anything.

But the other side of my brain says, what if someone wanted to eat my cats?? You know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 06:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claiken View Post
well the logical side of my brain says that if i stopped, it wouldnt make a difference as far as how much is produced/ etc. maybe a bit more waste in our house if anything.

But the other side of my brain says, what if someone wanted to eat my cats?? You know?
There are creatures who would gladly eat your cats, just as your cats might gleefully chow down a mouse. My little Burmese is an indoor cat just for this reason (too trusting) but also not having been raised to be 'wild'.

I think you can eat meat responsibly. Trust me I've heard the arguments having lived with vegetarians and some of my friends are veggies too. I even tried it for a bit, so I understand your concerns both ethically and as far as factory-farming and the need for reform (which thankfully, is happening due to public pressure).

My advice would be to eat some meat but vet where it comes from so you can feel reasonably-good about your source. That's to say, you might support a local farm where beef cattle or chickens had a great life and one bad day than say, go straight for the McRib from McDonald's.

I do agree that synthetic meat will be a boon for many...in fact some regular meat-eaters like myself might even switch if it makes sense to do so.

But, whether we like it or not humans are natural predators (and prey) just like our beloved kittehs. It's ok to eat meat (just like it's ok and even required for cats), but we can still be responsible eaters (or cat feeders).
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 07:33 AM
Banned

Anyone with functioning tastebuds can tell the difference.....

It's like asking "can you really tell the difference between tomato soup and tractor oil?"
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 07:55 AM
Tom Cat

I've been vegetarian since 1998 and haven't looked back since. It was the easiest thing I've ever done (as far as life changing events go).

The downside is that it can be expensive, not just in terms of food, but if you stop buying leather, etc. I buy all synthetic materials, which tend to be more than the real thing in some cases. But you do get quality in return.

For foods that taste close to the real thing.....

Boca chicken (delicious and very close)
Morning Star Farms hot dogs (taste identical)
I personally like Quorn brand chicken, but my BF does not. I think comes very close as well.

There are other good ones out there as well. You'd be very surprised at how close some fake meats come to the real thing (honestly, the hot dogs I mentioned are IDENTICAL).....and for those who say otherwise, I'd have to ask how many substitutes you've actually tried.

I am one who actually prefers "garden" like burgers, so not ones that are supposed to taste like real meat. Trader Joes garden burgers are to die for. There are tons of good veggie burgers out there, and they're all a bit different which is great for variety.

For me, I don't discriminate between animals. I don't see any difference in people eating cows than people eating dogs for example. Killing is killing. However, I don't hate on people who eat meat (thank god since almost everyone I know does). And I don't try to push my beliefs on others. I am not vegetarian for health reasons, though I do eat pretty healthy (and am currently on a diet that requires a TON of protein, 5-6 meals per day!).

That's all. No need to start arguments or try and chastise me. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions in this world. The OP asked a question, and I answered with my experience.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 07:58 AM
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claiken View Post
only sucky part is it severely limits fast food too. they rarely have an option.
And that's a bad thing??

Burger King has a veggie burger option (or at least they did....haven't been in a long time).
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 08:40 AM
Nan
Cool Cat

I like Trader Joe's meatless meatballs. But then they are smothered in tomato sauce & cheese when I eat them, so that might contribute to why I like them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 09:44 AM
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan View Post
I like Trader Joe's meatless meatballs. But then they are smothered in tomato sauce & cheese when I eat them, so that might contribute to why I like them.
I have those in my freezer right now....but haven't tried them yet. I like another brand of meatball (Veggie Patch I think).

I haven't found anything from Trader Joe's that I didn't like....just wish they were closer to my house.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 10:03 AM
Senior Cat

wife is veg I'm not, but a few things that work
morning star sausage crumbles (good in pasta sauce)
Quorn products (the breaded chick patties will do a quick chicken parmmision) the tenders work in stir fries
there is a brand of sausage (3 varieties)(not tofurky) that work very well
yipes brand make some "shrimp" that work in scampi's, stir fries and pastas..

yeti cat: two toes short of the record books
eons ago there must had been a creature with a roar
like a vacuum cleaner, it most likely ate cats.
smokey,yeti, pansy, violet, ember and brullie
jolene, tammi and emma the ghost kitties in the house
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page