OT...with the holidays upon us... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 02:03 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

OT...with the holidays upon us...

Please don't drink and drive. Three men (18, 18 & 22) were killed last night in a community just south of here, kids my niece went to school with. Run off the road by a drunk driver.

Last month three 16 year old boys were killed up north when they crashed with a drunk driver. I do not know these boys, or their families, I am just so sick of the carnage. In both cases the drivers survived. I can't imagine the pain the families are going through, or the courage they have to FORGIVE the person responsible for killing their sons.

I have friends & coworkers who routinely drink then drive their vehicles. My own 71 year old father got a 24 hr suspension recently. When will it sink in? When it's our own families that are affected?

6 more families who will not have their sons home at Christmas. 6 more families ripped apart because of someone else's negligence.

It needs to stop and we can all have a part in stopping it. I gave my phone number to everyone I know. They all know to call me if they've had too much. I will drive anywhere at anytime of day or night to make sure they get home safe, and most of all, that others have safer roads to drive on so that maybe one more son or daughter will make it home alive.

Stepping off the soapbox now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 10:27 AM
Premier Cat

Is there room on the soap box for me? I'll help you yell "DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 02:02 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Found out a little more, they were all drunk and street racing at 3 in the morning. Such a stupid and tragic waste of life.

Then we found out the mayor's daughter (of the same little town) passed away from a massive heart attack last night. She was 28. She was the leader of the community youth group and just a wonderful young lady. So much sadness. My sister is friends with this family and they are very close knit and devastated by this. Just can't believe it, she was so young....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 03:50 PM
Premier Cat

AMEN!!!!!! I completely agree with you! Especially with the holidays, now is the time to pay close attention. Lots of parties revolved around the holiday season. It's just not worth it! If you are gonna drink, arrange ahead of time for a designated driver!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 03:48 AM
Banned

It's worth mentioning that it's also a pretty stupid to get in a car when you know of suspect the driver has been drinking.
It's genuinely safer to walk home alone at night than do that. It's also safer than what Bruce Willis had to do in Die Hard 4, than get in a car with a drunk driver.

Btw all three are stupid things to do, but you know, it's just not a good idea to drink and drive.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 11:09 PM
Super Moderator

From last night:

Quote:
According to the CHP, 39-year-old Justin Foulds of Lemon Grove was under the influence when he was driving a Chevrolet Silverado home from a work-related Christmas party at about 5:45 p.m. Friday.

Foulds swiped a car then struck a Nissan Pathfinder, causing a four-car crash on southbound SR-125, according to the CHP.

"Traffic was merging… we were down to about five miles an hour and that's the last thing I remember," said Billy Ramirez, who was involved in the crash. "We got hit from the rear end. As soon as there was impact, there [were] flames."

A man and a woman in the Pathfinder were not able to get out and died at the scene. Investigators are trying to determine their identities.
This is the route I took home last night, two hours earlier. I was also returning from a firm-related Christmas party. But I didn't drink and drive. I HATE drunk drivers. From other stories I've read, the two people who died were alive after the crash and died in the fire. What a horrible, horrible way to die. And 100% preventable.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 01:15 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Oh Lord, what a terrible, horrific story. I am so glad you weren't there. 100% preventable, certainly.

My province just passed a new law to take effect next year, if you blow over 0.05 you get a three day suspension and a large fine. If you blow over 0.08....stiffer penalties. I hope it works, even if it saves one life, it is worth it. A lot of people are complaining because they can't have 2 or 3 beer/wine with dinner anymore, and restaurants are whining they will lose revenue, but to be completely honest, I don't care. I don't drink socially, if I want a glass of wine with dinner, I do it at home. If I am going to a party and drinking, I have cab money or a hotel room booked, it's just not worth the risk.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 01:25 AM
Super Moderator

If the picture of the crash is too graphic, I will certainly remove it.

Sometimes, it helps to be able to put a name and a face on a story:

Turns out, the people who died were a 16-year old boy and his grandmother.

Quote:
David, a sophomore, planned to graduate and then go into the military. He had big plans and great aspirations, his mother and cousin said.
Quote:
David’s cousin, Jessica Chavez, said David wanted to join the military after graduating. He liked to box and lift weights.

“He was very nice, very charismatic,” Chavez said. “He was all into his looks because he was in high school. He wanted to look good for the ladies.”

Andrea Torres shook her head slowly as she talked about drunken driving.

“It’s awful,” she said. “People don’t think about all the damage they can cause, not just in their own lives but in other lives like right now. My son, he wanted so much out of life, and it was just cut out. Everything gone.”

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

I don't need it removed....it only reinforces my belief.

I just don't have the words, just so senseless.......so young......
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 01:35 AM
Super Moderator

The grandmother had driven up from Tijuana yesterday to take her grandson back down there to an orthodontist appointment this morning, which is where they were headed at the time of the accident, so his mother saw the story on the news last night, but didn't know until today that it was her son and mother.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page