The Phantom of the Opera - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to my5kitties
The Phantom of the Opera

Today, the music department of my 13 year old son's school went to a local high school's production of "The Phantom of the Opera". Let me just say that I was blown away. I have never been to the opera, nor have had an interest in ever seeing one because I assumed it would be earsplitting singing with outrageously high notes being hit. While there was quite a bit of that, it didn't make me cringe or want to stuff earplugs in my ears. This production was beyond AMAZING. If I hadn't been watching it myself, I would have thought that it was adults singing, not high school aged kids. The acting, singing and dancing was superb. After the performance, there was a brief question-and-answer session with the cast. Someone asked the kids if they had had any formal vocal training. None of those kids did. These kids sounded like professionals. If I could, I'd go back and see it again.

----------
Renée
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 09:53 PM
Super Moderator

Wow, that's pretty ambitious for high school. I remember that even in my own high school, I thought some of the talented students in the musicals and plays would surely go on to become stars.

I saw Phantom of the Opera several years ago in Los Angeles. I didn't know what to expect either, Renée. But it was amazing!!

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by marie73; 12-10-2011 at 03:33 AM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to my5kitties
My favorite song from The Phantom of the Opera.

----------
Renée
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 10:32 PM
Premier Cat

Phantom is a pretty ambitious production for a high school class! Glad to see they did such a good job and that everyone enjoyed it. I love both opera and musical productions, but Phantom is one of my all-time favorites...and Sarah Brightman (the original "Christine") is by far my favorite singer.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 02:21 AM
Tom Cat

Phantom was the first opera I had ever seen. I would see it again in a heartbeat, it was amazing. Glad to see the school was able to pull it off, kids are amazing! Proofmthatbwhen you put your mind into something, anything is possible
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 04:34 AM
Banned

It's not an opera.... :p
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 10:54 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge View Post
It's not an opera.... :p
This. It's actually a musical, not an opera. It is however a *fan-freaking-TASTIC* musical!

Culture is one of the reasons I'm so glad I moved to where I am now. There is an opera company (off to see Carmen in a few weeks) and an orchestra (went to listen to Rachmaninov - Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini & Shostakovich - Symphony No. 7 last month) within easy driving distance.

My favorite song from Phantom of the Opera is absolutely:

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 11:59 AM
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by my4kitties View Post
My favorite song from The Phantom of the Opera. Music of the Night - YouTube
This has always been my favorite song of this Play also. It gives me chills and is just beautiful. I have never seen the play.

A cat can purr its way out of anything.- Donna McCrohan

"Happy is the home with at least one cat" - Italian Proverb

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 02:35 PM
Tom Cat

The best Phantom will always be Colm Wilkinson.

I'm getting tickets to Phantom for my niece for Xmas. It'll be her first grown-up (She's 8 and has outgrown the kiddy plays in terms of her theatre interest now) musical theatre production and she's going to flip out. lol It's being done by a local high school with some very talented young people. Expecting it to sell out over the holidays and it's not until April! My sister is getting tickets to Miss Saigon which is her fave. She knows about the Phantom tickets, but doesn't know about the Miss Saigon tickets. It's being put on by the high school we both graduated from and I'm ridiculously jealous of those kids! lol Also loads of talent there. A little disappointed I cannot be in town for musical season this year. Where I live there's theatre groups that come through and even a couple local theatre groups, but the high schools in my hometown are by far some of the best productions I've ever seen - even over big stages in US & Canada.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 04:04 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpellQ View Post
The best Phantom will always be Colm Wilkinson.
He has such a marvelous talent. Nobody will ever sing the role of Jean Valjean like he did.

I love Anderew Lloyd Webber's musicals. I got to see Cats for the first time about a year ago. MowMow, I am so jealous! I would LOVE to see Carmen!

Sue

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page