? For bilingual members. English/Spanish - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-17-2011, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Cat

? For bilingual members. English/Spanish

I just returned from visiting my out of state daughter.
My 5 year old grandson is in the gifted class at school. He was very excited to show off his Spanish. He counted to 100, went through the colors and then started on naming farm animals in Spanish.
Grandpa, Grandma, and Dad only speak English. My daughter has only had high school Spanish.

My question is, Can any one recomend any Spanish writen starter readers? What titles? Thought about maybe rushing a few in for Christmas. Would be great if I could get a book that is writen in both Spanish and English.

My cats aren't spoilt, Just well loved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-17-2011, 10:37 PM
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshel View Post
My 5 year old grandson is in the gifted class at school. He was very excited to show off his Spanish. He counted to 100, went through the colors and then started on naming farm animals in Spanish.
Grandpa, Grandma, and Dad only speak English. My daughter has only had high school Spanish.

My question is, Can any one recomend any Spanish writen starter readers? What titles? Thought about maybe rushing a few in for Christmas. Would be great if I could get a book that is writen in both Spanish and English.
Honestly coming from a teaching prespective, it's going to be a little hard to find something here. A lot of the bilingual readers I've seen have very poor Spanish translations. I know of one teacher who got permission to go to her local consulate and pick up actual Spanish textbooks and readers. It made a real difference for her non-English speaking students.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-17-2011, 11:04 PM
Senior Cat

Hey

I searched amazon, just typed English Spanish books and I got some bilingual books for children. Or that's not what you're looking for?

Another idea: maybe if they have a kindle (or if you get one for him) they can easily download books in Spanish. Or is a kindle too much for a 5 year old?

I always buy my books on this website called buscalibros Busca Libros. Una nueva experiencia en librerías jut search "libros para niños" ( or click here Libros, Libros para Niños If you find something that you like, I can gladly get it and send it to you, but I doubt it'll get there before Christmas.

Good luck!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-17-2011, 11:43 PM
Cat

Quote:

I'm learning spanish (my fiance and his whole family speak it and I'd like to be able to pass it on to my children) I went to the goodwill and st vinny's and went through their books and found quite a few childrens books in spanish. One that looks like a really good book is:

It's in both spanish and english, pretty basic stuff including colors, numbers, time, days of the week, greetings and good byes, animals. All sorts of stuff. And in the back it has a vocabulary.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenkolas View Post
Hey

I searched amazon, just typed English Spanish books and I got some bilingual books for children. Or that's not what you're looking for?

Another idea: maybe if they have a kindle (or if you get one for him) they can easily download books in Spanish. Or is a kindle too much for a 5 year old?

I always buy my books on this website called buscalibros Busca Libros. Una nueva experiencia en librerías jut search "libros para niños" ( or click here Libros, Libros para Niños If you find something that you like, I can gladly get it and send it to you, but I doubt it'll get there before Christmas.

Good luck!!!
Thank you. I visited the site and used my transaltor on 2 pages.
I have a coworker that was borned and raised in Mexico. I will ask him to look at the site and reccomend some books. He can go through the site a lot fast than I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitbassgirl View Post
I'm learning spanish (my fiance and his whole family speak it and I'd like to be able to pass it on to my children) I went to the goodwill and st vinny's and went through their books and found quite a few childrens books in spanish. One that looks like a really good book is:

http://www.amazon.com/Berlitz-Jr-Spa.../dp/0689713150

It's in both spanish and english, pretty basic stuff including colors, numbers, time, days of the week, greetings and good byes, animals. All sorts of stuff. And in the back it has a vocabulary.
Thank you. That book looks exactly like I was searching for. Hopefully some other members chime in so I can purchase several books.

My daughter lives in Ft. Wayne and we went there to take her out for here birthday. They have horse drawn carriages downtown. My grandson was on a Spanish kick and got very excited at the horses, yelling horse in Spanish. Of course I didn't know what he was saying before my daughter translated for me.

Showing my age, but when I was in school many many years ago, our readers where Dick and Jane.

My cats aren't spoilt, Just well loved.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 04:39 PM
Cat

Quote:

Thank you. That book looks exactly like I was searching for. Hopefully some other members chime in so I can purchase several books.

My daughter lives in Ft. Wayne and we went there to take her out for here birthday. They have horse drawn carriages downtown. My grandson was on a Spanish kick and got very excited at the horses, yelling horse in Spanish. Of course I didn't know what he was saying before my daughter translated for me.

Showing my age, but when I was in school many many years ago, our readers where Dick and Jane.
I've never actually read a dick and jane book, but I could read by myself when I was three years old. I grew up with Dr. Suess, word bird, and these "little A had a box" books.

The book I showed you is great, it has alot of stuff in it, it follows a little bear(oso is bear in spanish, oddly enough I don't think they mention the spanish word for bear in that book.) as he introduces his family, talks about his home, toys and then goes to school (thats where all the colors, numbers and alphabet come in) and after school he goes to the park with his friends and then to the circus with his family. I lent the book to my cousin (she's 10) and she loved it even though it's a beginners book. Because it has everything in spanish and english so she could understand and learn from it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page