Why do birds fly into windows? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Why do birds fly into windows?

There's a beautiful bright red cardinal who insists upon flying into my windows. He's been doing this for the past month. He sits on a tree branch, or whatever is close, and just hurls himself onto my window panes. He then picks himself up, flies back onto the tree branch and tries again. Quite a foolish bird! He's obviously not familiar with the concept of flying South.

I'm not really concerned that he'll break the windows, but I am concerned he might hurt himself. Plus, all I seem to hear these days is "bang...bang...bang", every 10 seconds as he thumps against the windows. I've tried shooing him away, but he just goes to another window. This house has a LOT of windows, so he's got plenty to choose from. I've tried lights on and lights off, but it doesn't make a difference. Also, since my house is surrounded by forests/woodlands, I don't have any curtains or blinds on the windows, so there's nothing to close.

Right now, he's at the kitchen window. Muffs and Abby have jumped onto the kitchen counter (something they don't often do) to watch him...bang, bang, bang. On the plus side, at least he's keeping the girls entertained.

Anybody know why birds fly into windows, over and over and over?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 12:04 PM
Premier Cat

He may see his reflection in the window from outside and think it's someone moving in on his territory. Or, perhaps he sees something inside he wants and doesn't realize the window is there. I can't imagine they have the best memory with such a small brain.....

Hang a suncatcher or a bright colored window cling, that might help.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 12:08 PM
Tom Cat

He can't see the glass, that's why he is flying into it. If he can see through 2 windows it could be he's trying to go through your house instead of around it. Or he sees something in the house he wants, but still, the glass isn't visible to him.

I have big bay windows in my front, we had painted the house so I had taken down all the old ratty curtains and didn't put anything up again. I kept getting bird strikes there, I was finding dead song birds in my garden. I was losing up to 5 birds a day. One day a woodpecker came at the window full tilt. He knocked himself pretty stupid, but after an hour was ok. After that I put up sheer curtains to see if that helped, and no more birds flew into the window.

I would suggest you may want to look into putting sheers up. It still allows light in, but it's enough to keep the birds from flying into them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 03:46 AM
Banned

Get more cats, and have then sleep on the window sill.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 04:12 AM
Cat

I would say that the bird can probably see the landscape mirroring in your windows and that is why he is trying to fly there. We had the same problem at my work. We have an office in the countryside with very large windows and birds just kept hitting them. I bougth some antireflex window stickers for birds and now we don' t have birds accidents anymore
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge View Post
Get more cats, and have then sleep on the window sill.
LOL! I admire people who think outside of the box, even when they're not being serious. Thanks for my morning laugh.

Turning to those suggestions that won't put me in jail for cat hoarding...

The problem with putting anything on the windows is that this house has more than 100 windows. Still, I think I will look into the anti-reflex stickers Syrena mentioned. I've never heard of them, but they sound like they might be the easiest solution, even if I just dealt with the windows in the rooms that I spend the most time in. Thanks to all for their suggestions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page