Open cubicles - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Open cubicles

I'm on a roll here...

Does anyone work in an open cubicle design? I don't mind working in close proximity with others. What I DO mind is how it's very easy to get sneaked up on. I have ppl walking up quietly without saying anything beforehand and no footstep sounds. All of a sudden they start talking when they are right beside you. I don't know how many times that's scared me so bad that I physically jump in my seat. Worse thing is I work in a male-dominated industry and of course, being men, they tend to be immature. For some reason, they find it hilarious that I jump so...all the more reason to do it MORE.

I'm talking about this because just as I was typing about my lighting prob, someone does the abovementioned and says almost in my ear, 'so how's the lighting?' I swear, if I was predisposed to heart attacks, I would have had one on the spot. Although the lighting is fine now, the only bad thing is that I'm on the end of a row so I get traffic coming at me from left and right behind me. Can't win 'em all...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 01:31 PM
Premier Cat

Get a nice small mirror, sized for a purse and use double sided tape to stick it to the edge of your monitor.

It will reflect movement behind you when someone is walking up. I have one on mine It catches my eye if someone is walking up behind me.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 02:09 PM
Nan
Cool Cat

That would bother me too.

Job before this one, I worked in an office with cubes. There people seemed to be noisy enough or considereate enough that I didn't feel snuck-up on.

Now I have my own office and my desk is on the wall that the hallway is on, so I don't get anyone looking over my shoulder or coming into my office where I don't see them coming.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 02:30 PM
Senior Cat

i second the mirror suggestion. i work in a very quiet office so I can always hear people coming, but i also have a mirror set up so I can see behind me
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 12:56 AM
Tom Cat

I third the mirror, it does help immensely. I used to work in cubbyholes, and my back was to the walkway, they designed them poorly. A couple coworkers thought it was cute to come stand behind me quietly then startle me. They only did it twice, they didn't like the second reaction LOL

The only other thing I can suggest is to try to position your computer so you can see movement out of the corner of your eye, at least it's some kind of forewarning. I know also though that these cubicles aren't usually designed for that, but sometimes you can find the magic spot lol.

Good luck!
Rachel
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 04:20 AM
Cool Cat

Wow the mirror is a good idea!
I'm usually the person who unintentionally sneaks up and scares people.

Bec

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 08:26 AM
Banned

Yeah it's really hard to be on Catforum when you have your back to the door and the boss can walk in any time. I need a mirror.

As for scaring people... great idea.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Yeah Huge, being in Catforum all day can be a challenge! One of my co workers knows I'm on here all the time and says if I wasn't on here, I'd be so much more productive.

The mirror is a great idea! Now the only thing is to figure out the right size so it works well yet doesn't look too obvious/tacky. Also gotta put it in a strategic position for maximum coverage.

Gotta be very alert! I got 3 (!) possible directions that ppl can be coming from. If I position myself correctly I can see ppl coming from 2 of the directions if I pay attention. I think I'll place the mirror to monitor the 3rd direction. Good thing I can type without looking at the keyboard. I guess I have to learn to take my eyes off the screen more often to avoid those sneak attacks!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 06:43 PM
Premier Cat

You could always strategically position a couple of Ssscats and scare those who try to sneak up on you!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 06:47 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan View Post
You could always strategically position a couple of Ssscats and scare those who try to sneak up on you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page