Isn't torture illegal? Lock up my nephew! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Isn't torture illegal? Lock up my nephew!

My 5 year old nephew loves to play the computer games from pbs.com and nickjr website, and whatever else he can get into for kids online.

However, he seems to think he needs the volume at FULL BLAST!!! The background "jingles" are only about 5-10 second loops... over and over and over and over again!
AURGH!!!!!

And this starts at 7 or 8 in the morning. Because I work at night, I try (being the key word here) to sleep until at least 10am. My dad's computer room is right above my bedroom, so I can hear it perfectly well!
And then he leaves them on when he goes off to do other stuff like eat a snack or watch TV, so they go all day for no good reason!

I've done a search about volume blocks on Windows, and apparently you can't. Maybe in parental controls...but I'll look later. I could just buy him headphones, but highly doubt he'd even use them :/

And yes, I have asked Ryan to turn it down. Several times. It's amazing he has an attention span 3 hours long for games, but when I say something, it lasts maybe 3 minutes before he forgets >_<
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 05:44 PM
Cat

Click on the volume button and bring up the advanced settings. There's a max volume setting there.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 06:37 PM
Cat

Have you talked to your dad about it? It seems that in a logical world, an adults needs would triumph a child's wants. In this case, your need for sleep would win over a child's need for noise.

Even more, your nephew has seriously got to watch the noise for his future hearing. Take it from me. I am hard of hearing. I have conductive hearing loss, meaning I can hear you, but I cannot understand a word that you're saying. To know how it sounds, imagine having your head under water and having someone talk to you. If your nephew experiences enough ear damaging loudness, he will suffer in the future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Thanks, DMM!

Yes, I have told my dad how annoying it is. He doesn't know about my night job yet, as I only started this week (and it's a "work at home" thing, so he wouldn't have noticed my car leaving at odd hours...because I never leave! LOL)
My dad just sort of dismisses it that I''m over-reacting.

My dad has that same problem. I have to talk slow and extra-pronunciate, otherwise all he hears is mumbles. His hearing aids help... but only when he actually wears them LOL
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 08:29 AM
Banned

Unplug the speakers.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 10:13 AM
Nan
Cool Cat

He could use earphones. Get him some & tell him he has to use them in the morning when you need to sleep.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 11:04 AM
Cat Addict

Oh I can totally relate. I got noise sensitivity and that would drive me insane. If you're in a public or sharing environment, then I believe you should use headphones. It's only common courtesy cuz not everyone enjoys your show/music etc.

Guess it doesn't help that your father needs a hearing aid so the noise won't bother him as much.

I agree with Nan. Although technically, he should buy his own. But yeah, it's not too much to ask for him to use them only during the morning when you're sleeping.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 01:36 PM
Cat

I wouldn't do earphones without setting the max volume first. He could do some serious damage to his hearing.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

I would give him a serious time-out.

In a cat carrier.

Outside.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 03:56 PM
Premier Cat

I would just cut the cord from the back of the PC to the speakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page