What kind of vacuum cleaner do you use? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

What kind of vacuum cleaner do you use?

I just bought a Dyson Animal online after reading rave reviews about how well it deals with cat hair--what do you guys use to clean up the fluff? We had an inexpensive WalMart type vac that broke after like 3 months, and I am so sick of the cat hair in this place--it's everywhere, and I'm starting to bring it to work with me accidentally which is never good!

Anyone else have a Dyson Animal or something similar? Pros/cons? Tips & tricks for picking up extra hair?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 05:06 PM
Premier Cat

I'm so jealous that you bought the dyson. Please keep us updated on how you like it so I can use it as ammo to convince my hubby

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 06:19 PM
Premier Cat

I have a Dyson Animal. I've had it for about 6+ years now. I'm QUITE happy with it. I use it twice a week on the carpets and furniture. I use it around the litterbox to get loose litter (and the occasional escaped poop marble from the boxes). I even use it on the linoleum in the kitchen/bathroom and entry way of the apartment. I LOVE that thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 06:37 PM
Premier Cat

I have a central vacuum and a Dyson Animal. For the most part, the central vacuum gathers dust in the closet, because the Dyson does a better job on my rugs than does the central vac.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

YAY! I kind of bought it without "thinking on it" for very long, read a lot of good reviews (and let's face it, for a 600 dollar vacuum cleaner it had BETTER be good!) and then it was on sale with free shipping so we dove right in. I am so sick of being furry! I can't wait for it to get here!

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 03:46 AM
Super Moderator

Miele, expensive but worth it.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 09:41 AM
Jr. Cat

I use a Kenmore Progressive canister vacuum. It word great because the only carpet in this whole house is on the stairs to the second level. It does a great job on my floors.

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 12:05 PM
Tom Cat

I have the Dyson Animal too. I also have 2 Sears Kenmore canister vacuums as well. Honestly - I'm not entirely convinced that the Dyson's any better than my canisters.

I have one Kenmore upstairs, one downstairs and the Dyson is downstairs as well. I find the stair attachment on the Dyson fairly useless, it doesn't pick up anything and gets clogged easily. I use the Kenmore and a Furminator cat brush on my stairs, its the only way to get it all, especially on the riser part of the stair.

It's a bit frustrating, I spent $600 on a vacuum and still need to use the old one on linoeum in the kitchen & bathroom (a broom just doesn't do anything for the fur bunnies) and the floor attachment on the Dyson I find cumbersome. Plus, the Dyson doesn't go under the furniture far enough, so I have to pull the couches out to vacuum with it (they're heavy!!).

It does do a decent job in the basement where the critters spend most of their time. I like that I can see when it gets full and can empty it as needed.

Hindsight being what it is, I would not have spent the money for a Dyson in my current place of residence. But...if I ever move into an apartment with no stairs, it would probably be the best choice. It stores better than a canister and is less effort to use than a canister vacuum.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 01:38 PM
Premier Cat

Miele...Im O/C about cleaning. Its the only one I found that really works on cat hair. they dont break and last forever.

so while you keep buying inexpensive ones that keep needing to be repaired and replaced, they eventually add up to a Miele .
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 11:04 PM
Tom Cat

I'm using a Rainbow water vacuum if anyone has ever heard about it before?? It works wonders and really gets al the naked-to-the-eye bits out too! It also works as an air filter too. all you have to do is fill it with water and vacuum, pour out the dirty water afterwards and refill (and I clean it every so often). It's amazing and I'm glad we spent a fortune on it. It's also the only water vacuum that it certified for health usage. It's expensive but maybe you could also take a look at it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page