When it rains, it pours - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Unhappy When it rains, it pours

Don't know if any of you have had fish as pets. I've started the fish keeping hobby back in October.

So, three days ago, I ended up buying a 5 gallon tank for my betta and one of my platys (Dusk) because the other fish were picking on Dusk and Flash did not like his 3 gallon home. Costed me $62. Included decorations, the 5 gallon starter kit and gravel.

Yesterday, Dusk developed a fungal infection, refuses to eat. I also broke my gravel vac on my 10 gallon tank. The substrate was too big and a rock got stuck and cracked the gravel vac. So, I needed a gravel vac and gravel. Then to find out that I needed another tank to put the baby fish since changing the gravel would kill them due to chemistry issues (cycling, if you're into it). So, I had to buy some fake plants, a gallon tank, a heater. I figured, why not: some caves for the 5 gallon and 10 gallon tank. Spent $120.

Today, Flash, my betta, develops ick (a parasite). So, I had to go get aquarium salt, an adjustable heater and medication for him. Costed me $68. Get home from getting my taxes done. Dusk is on the verge of death. I revive him. He dies a half hour later.

And all of this had to go on the credit card I swear I would never use again. Why? I quit my job in December and my husband has been out of work for 2 weeks due to a back injury. But, I'm dealing with living breathing feeling beings. I spare no expense for them.

So, when it rains, it pours. When it pours, it pours on me. Just feel bad about loosing Dusk. I liked him. I hope Flash recovers. My baby fish are doing great and the 10 gallon tank is doing awesome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 05:15 PM
Senior Cat

so sorry, i have had fish on and off all my life, and I know how you can get attached to them! Hopefully Flash will be okay, you are a great fish mommy! I recently started up my 10 gallon tank again with a male betta, and yesterday i went out and got a divider and a female betta. I know how quickly the costs add up, even for smaller tanks. I also have a 30 gallon that I plan on setting up in the near future, but I have to wait till I have some extra cash, It is an addicting hobby!!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 05:21 PM
Premier Cat

I'm sorry that you lost Dusk and so hope that Flash gets better soon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 07:21 PM
Tom Cat

I'm sorry Beth! I hope Flash perks up for you soon!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Flash is starting to perk up a bit. He refused breakfast this morning, which freaks me out as food driven as he is. Just fed him some mysis shrimp. He's eating now. Good thing. He's a survivor. He's had fin rot and has been poisoned (on accident-nitrite poisoning). He's a tough bugger. But after loosing Dusk, I guess I am a bit freaked out about loosing him. He's my first fish and the whole reason I have 3 tanks going right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page