Some Leonard Cohen songs to enjoy... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Some Leonard Cohen songs to enjoy...

Slate (online) magazine just posted a marvelous piece on Leonard Cohen following his latest release...I am not that familiar with his music, but followed the article to YouTube and found so many transcendentally beautiful songs.

Here are two that will simply take you away....

Fran

P.S. Last night I listened to Dance Me while Gracie was in my lap. Normally she doesn't pay much attention and just naps - but she really listened, I could tell!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 03:35 PM
Cat Addict

I was not familiar with him either until your post. Such beautiful music! I think I will go read that article.
Thank you for sharing.

Sue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 03:48 PM
Cat Addict

First time I heard of him was 19 years + ago. I find i have to be in a mood to listen to most of his older "folk" music. Surprised that he just put something new out. I guess a lot of people never heard of him before "Shrek"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 04:17 PM
Tom Cat

I can't believe this! I'm listening to Leonard Cohen right now...Old Ideas, a cd I bought for my birthday last week.

I've been listening to him for so many years now; I posted a link to a few of his songs
in a Lounge discussion a few months back.

When I was in therapy I used his music to express some of the pain I was going through; sometimes his music spoke for me when my anguish was too overwhelming
for my own words. Love, love, love Leonard Cohen!!!

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 04:28 PM
Cat Addict

I've known about him for several years, and my whole family knows about him too, as do most of my friends, maybe it's a Canadian thing? He's Canadian.

I think he's more a poet than a singer, I can't say I like most of his music, but I do like a few...

Those are the two I have saved on my computer. He's also the original artist that wrote Hallelujah, which has been redone by a lot of people, K.D. Lang, The Canadian Tenors...

Along with the dogs
and
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 03:52 AM
Banned

Not my thing really, but hey. Whatever floats your boat.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

[ Hugh - been thinking of everyone enduring the fierce cold weather overseas - is everyone managing all right?? ]

6cats4me: how is the new album? you're the first person I know who has it ...

I agree, Leonard Cohen is definitely a poet first - a very moody and specialized sound. I love the first song because of the words, and the gypsy / flamenco vibe it has...

I guess my appreciation is related to my age (52)? I grew up in the sixties but was a kid when all the big happenings took place - Beatles/Stones/Joan Baez/Dylan/flower power/riots/Ken Kesey/Haight Ashbury/Vietnam etc etc. It was all just on the edge of my awareness although my older brother kind of knew what was happening (four years older).

Now that I am middle-aged I am listening to the music and learning the biographies with a new appreciation. It's as though I can see in "both directions" now. These artists were so young and full of dreams when they wrote their music - just like my teenage son who is so close to being an adult. The music takes me back to that time in my life, and also makes me poignantly aware of my boy growing up. On the other hand, right now I am doing so much 'elder care' for my parents, and looking at Leonard Cohen I am struck by his age. I am so much more aware that these great figures of my youth will pass on (and so will I, of course). I hope the music endures.

Fran
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 07:19 PM
Cat

Love, love, love, Leonard Cohen: what an artist, what a talent, what a poet. Just..........Wow!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 07:30 PM
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran View Post

6cats4me: how is the new album? you're the first person I know who has it ... Fran
OLD IDEAS came out in January 2012. Here is a link with music samples from the CD.

LIKE A MAN comes out in April....can't wait! My cats are totally relaxed
when I have Leonard Cohen's music playing; they know Mama is feeling
mellow and introspective listening to the music.

Phyllis

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 03:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran View Post
[ Hugh - been thinking of everyone enduring the fierce cold weather overseas - is everyone managing all right?? ]
Well in the UK it's mostly ok. Nothing like as bad as last year (at least for most of the country). But in Eastern Europe, it's awful 100s of people dying in temps of -30 or colder.

It's -6 this morning, so cold, but not unbearable. It's still about 30 degrees below my comfort zone though.

Back to schmaltzy soporific crooners :p
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page