Doggie DNA Test... Fun! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Doggie DNA Test... Fun!

I know not to expect miracles from the test, but I was curious enough buy our dog one. 60 dollars and a week and a half later and I have the results!

A little background: she's just over a year old and was sold as an Eskimo/Cavalier/Poodle. The father was about 20 pounds with a black fuzzy crazy coat, supposedly the Eskimo/Poodle. The mother was - apparently - a Cavalier but one look at her told me she wasn't. She was 13 pounds with milk and actually reminded me of a Japanese Chin or Chinese Crested with hair, and she wasn't the correct coloring for a Cavalier, since she was white with black patches. Most of the littermates were black and white (white on the chin/chest), one black and white spotted, one was tan, and then there was the white and tan puppy we picked.

There's a thread I created when we go Coco here, and there was a little debate over what she was made up of... as she got older for fur go a little wave to it, with some of the waves needing to be cut back a little because they stick out and look ridiculous, her fur is coarse and she's a real shedder. Her tail is like a Spitz, curling onto her back when she wants it to.

Here's two pictures of her (I tried to find one of her standing at attention and another of her close up):

So, her results were somewhat inconclusive, but not anything too wildly unexpected.

Out of eight great grandparents, of the four on one side the test could only identify one Cavalier, making its offspring, one of her two grandparents partly Cavalier. On the other side of the gene pool two out of the four great grandparents were Miniature Poodles, making one of the two grandparents a full blooded Poodle. Clearly, not a huge amount of info, with a lot of blanks on both sides. However, amusingly enough the test looks at breeds that are also in her gene pool that make up too small an amount to know where they come from. Those results are that she's 7.1% Lakeland Terrier, 5.4% Boykin Spaniel (I don't even know what that is!), 5.4% Russel Terrier, 3.4 percent Eskimo (So much for that Eskimo being a big part; maybe her grandparent on the unknown side really had its looks though), and 2.9% Chinese Crested - totally has to be from her mom's side.

I don't think that makes up all her DNA, unless I just have no idea how to read DNA percentages, but those are the results, and it was really fun!

Has anyone else thought of doing a dog DNA test?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Along with the dogs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

Last edited by Carmel; 02-10-2012 at 03:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 03:22 PM
Tom Cat

I don't know if you know this, but those tests are utter BS. Purebred dogs have tested as mutts. Fun though.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixall View Post
I don't know if you know this, but those tests are utter BS. Purebred dogs have tested as mutts. Fun though.
I know that's one opinion, some people say it's informative and fun while others blast it for being totally bogus. I still don't see how without any info besides her swab they can get results that match up with what we thought we had. *shurgs* Even a small dog can come from a Great Dane, and you've got to follow the instructions carefully and not contaminate the DNA. It may not be totally accurate, but I think it's somehow on the right track, obviously there are going to be a lot of variables though.

Along with the dogs
and

Last edited by Carmel; 02-10-2012 at 03:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixall View Post
I don't know if you know this, but those tests are utter BS.
Thank you, Debbie Downer.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 03:56 PM
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73 View Post
Thank you, Debbie Downer.

I try.

I didn't mean it as blah blah you wasted time and money blah blah. Sorry if I came across that way.

Coco is cute as heck, though.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 04:52 PM
Banned

Next there'll be some crappy tv show where a puppy is DNA tested to see who it's REAL dad is....
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 05:04 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge View Post
Next there'll be some crappy tv show where a puppy is DNA tested to see who it's REAL dad is....
"Fido! You are NOT the father!"
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 06:33 PM
Premier Cat

No matter what Coco is made up of the results are cute, cute, cute!

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 08:09 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to my5kitties
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MowMow View Post
"Fido! You are NOT the father!"
I literally LOL'ed when I read this. I startled Midnight.

----------
Renée
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 08:30 PM
Senior Cat

when we got our new puppy a few years ago....her petfinder ad said she was a black lab mix. So we did the dna test and it turns out she has no lab in her at all. she is a shepard/pointer and something else mix.

our other dog's dna came out as lab/golden retreiver/and a small breed dog mix...that explains why we have a small golden...haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page