Got a speeding ticket... should I go to court? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to RachandNito
Got a speeding ticket... should I go to court?

The other night I got a speeding ticket. I admit, I was a bit distracted and didn't fully realize I was doing 76 in a 55 zone >.<

I can easily pay the fine and be done with it. But they put 6 points on me...

I've never gone to my court date for a speeding ticket before. I know nothing about this sort of thing. If I go will it be worth my time? I have heard that they don't ever really reduce your fine (sometimes adding court fees instead) but is it possible for them to reduce my points if I ask them to?

Or should I just pay the ticket?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 11:13 PM
Senior Cat

Hard to say, I don't know about Wisconsin. Maybe you can ask around if anyone you know has any experience. In some states you can take defensive driving course and get the ticket taken off your record (in California you still have to pay the fine) if the speeding was within limits, that is, not like over 100mph, not sure what they consider within the limits for taking the course. It usually takes about a day and most courses nowadays are available online.
post #3 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 12:15 AM
Cool Cat

The benefit in going to court is that the officer mght not show, which means they drop the charges. You have to pay court costs and the fine before going to court.

For our state, defensive driving is limited to speeding of less than 15 mph (yes, I qualified).
For 6 points, we would be walking.

Mom of
Skin kids - Jason, Kevin, Allison
Canine kids - Bennett & Bailey (always in our hearts), Riley, Banker, Rogue and Boz
Feline kids - Zoey, Talley and Abra
Advertisement

post #4 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 02:11 AM
Cat Addict

The advice I once got was to always go to court. They might drop the charges, or if they don't they might drop the points or the fine for apologizing and admitting fault. I could be wrong though.

Becky, the proud momma of:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 06:46 AM
Cat Addict

I would go to court, it may do something to help, it really doesn't take long (OH had to go once).

BUT 20 miles over might not let you just take the class. If anything if they drop it , then it will look better on insurance when they check to see if you have gotten tickets.
post #6 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 08:33 AM
Senior Cat

I've had two tickets completely dropped due to the cop not showing up, one fine reduced drastically, and paid the full fine twice. Yes, my driving habits were a bit aggressive through my early twenties. I now have too much to lose so I don't drive like that any more.

Anyway, if you have the time, always go in. It never hurts to find out what a judge thinks of the situation. If you have a decent record other than this incident you may just explain that this is a rare situation and that you are concerned with how it will effect your insurance. The judge may reduce the fine and points.
post #7 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 08:33 AM
Banned

You got done for doing 76mph in a 55 limit?

Suck it up.

The ticket and points are meant to serve as a deterrent. Not a lesson on how to get away with breaking the law.
post #8 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 08:34 AM
Senior Cat

Talk to a lawer who does this stuff, in many states a PJW (plea for judgement withheld ) is an option.. everything is set aside for a given time, but if you get tagged again they can hit you with both.. ps the cost of a lawer is usaully much cheaper the the increased insurance cost you may be facing..

yeti cat: two toes short of the record books
eons ago there must had been a creature with a roar
like a vacuum cleaner, it most likely ate cats.
smokey,yeti, pansy, violet, ember and brullie
jolene, tammi and emma the ghost kitties in the house
post #9 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 08:46 AM
Cat

I would go if it's local or a reasonable distance away. I once got a 15+ over ticket in rural South Carolina (I lived in Atlanta at the time.) I was worried about the points more than the $150 ticket too so I drove up to go to court-and the traffic court was in a strip mall with a Piggly Wiggly on the end. There was a kiosk to check in outside the "courtroom." I gave the worker the ticket and told her a was hoping to get it reduced, meaning the mileage. She said, "OK, we'll do fifty dollars." I said, "Well thanks, but I was more concerned about the miles over the speed limit." She said, "I'll reduce it to seven over." Man I was never so happy to hand over fifty dollars.
In sum you should go to court because there are only possible benefits and no risks, unless you're the type you'll say something vulgar and get jailed for contempt. I'm guessing the answer to that is no.
Or if it's an opportunity-cost issue where it's not worth your time to fight it.
post #10 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator

Went to court with my neighbor a few years ago. Forget what her ticket was for, but it wasn't speeding...something like following too close. Get there and everyone was in a waiting area before they opened the doors to the courtroom. The cop who issued the ticket came out and started calling names, he was offering these people a deal; if she made a $100 donation to one of several charities he named, they would drop the ticket. The donation was less than the fine, it was tax deductible and no points...so she did it. Never heard of anything like that in my life...small town New Hampshire....gotta love it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page