The Big Move - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 04:19 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to RachandNito
The Big Move

So we actually got keys to the place exactly one week ago, but we hadn't gotten a bed up here until yesterday. I've been in disbelief myself, because it seems so sudden and almost too good to be true...

And and I have finally found a great place to live!

It is a 4-plex, technically an apartment but feels more like a town home. 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, and our own back door to the yard. The place even has a beautiful brick fire place!

The best part is, it's totally pet friendly. My landlord said up to 4 dogs could be on the lease, and I had to talk him into letting me have cats. He's had problems with tenants and their cats in the past. He was reassured that I am a CVT, and my manager at work also vouched for my kitties, and how responsible of a pet owner I am when he called to check my work references. Then I get there and my upstairs neighbors have 3 cats, the other ones upstairs also have 2... and everyone has at least one dog. So obviously he's not THAT adverse to cats! Did I mention my neighbors are all totally nice and are throwing a 'welcome home' cocktail party for us tomorrow? :-D It is just such a refreshing relief to find a landlord who isn't all uptight about pets. I pay no extra deposit or monthly fee but I had to agree to a spring and fall inspection to be sure that we are keeping the place clean. It's a small price, and totally worth it instead of paying extra fees. And we will, of course, keep the place nice; we always have anywhere we've stayed. The landlord has also been extremely attentive, answering all my emails usually within hours, and he's a very straightforward and genuine type of guy.

I work crazy hours, each and every day. In the spare time I've had I've been driving my little Honda fit back and forth, taking loads of stuff up. Basically, it's been a crazy week and I've had myself all stressed out (tends to happen when I move). Friday during the day we did a major trailer load with the bed, couch, and my 50 gallon fish tank which was an event in and of itself (just so happened to be in the middle of a big snow storm too... yea Rach, good going with that one!). There are just a few more things around the old house left to get, but otherwise the move is nearly complete! Winry and Jerry (my dog) have been accompanying me to the new place all week. I figured Winry could spread her scent around and make it more familiar for Magneto, who tends to be a scaredy cat and takes moves very badly. This time I brought Magneto along with Winry and Jerry, because I work overnights and will be up in Madison all weekend, and he doesn't like to be away from me for long periods (in other words he does not like my sister at all). I was all worried that he'd be the same he's always been with moves, freaking out and hiding, but bringing Winry up early must have worked because he was exploring all over the apartment, talking to us, not even hiding one bit! It seems the new place has gotten Magneto's stamp of approval!

The rent is very, very reasonable, and the quality of the apartment is absolutely amazing. I couldn't have asked for more and Andrew and I are very happy! I haven't gotten to spend a night there yet (finally get the bed moved in and I work an overnight that same night ) but by the end of the weekend or early next week we will have cleared all our stuff from the old house once and for all. We are nowhere near ready to have pictures taken of the place yet, otherwise I'd share them with you. But I'd rather highlight how nice the apartment is, instead of letting you all see the disorganized and chaotic mess I made of packing. We've got unpacking and organizing to do before any pictures will go up, but I just wanted to share with everybody, because I am just so excited!

Finally... my OWN place! No more roommates, no more family drama, just me and Andrew and our furry family. And best of all, no more landlord stress, because we've found a pet friendly place!

Last edited by RachandNito; 03-03-2012 at 04:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 04:38 AM
Super Moderator

What a great post -wonderful news all around! I'm so happy for all of you!

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 07:09 AM
Cat Addict

This sounds wonderful. There is nothing like a calm, nurturing environment to help you get your head back togehter.

My landlord is also super about my having cats. It's a rare thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 10:11 AM
Premier Cat

You can hear the relief and excitement in your post. I am so, so happy for all of you.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 10:25 AM
Premier Cat

This is such fantastic news. I can't wait to see pictures ones you get sorted out and you'll be so much happier now that your stress level can start to come down.

Congorats!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 11:32 AM
Tom Cat

Oh Rach! That's such great news! It is such a relief to find a good place. Glad Magneto gave his new home his approval

Good luck with the unpacking and reorganizing, but you'll have the place up and running in no time!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 01:31 PM
Premier Cat

Congrats! You sound very relieved, and I bet your calmer outlook will sift down to the kitties too.

The approach of not asking for extra rent or security deposit but doing spring and fall inspections sounds really reasonable to me. I wish more people would do that.

Holly and Murphy
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 02:07 PM
Cat

It sounds like you really found a great place and I wish you the best of luck. You have a really nice landlord also and thank goodness he allowed you your kits and doggies. I hope you will all be happy there.

A cat can purr its way out of anything.- Donna McCrohan

"Happy is the home with at least one cat" - Italian Proverb

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 06:08 PM
Cat Addict

Best wishes in your new place! It sounds very nice and how wonderful to be on your own. Can't wait for pictures!

Sue

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 10:12 AM
Senior Cat

GREAT NEWS! I am so happy for you. Good luck with everything, how's Nito doing?
Hugs and kisses!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page