Costa Concordia hearing today - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Costa Concordia hearing today

Has anyone kept up on this story? To me it seems suspicious. Why DID the captain try to desert? The passengers being told nothing's wrong, the captain sailing WAY too close to shore,then trying to flee the wreck... Hopefully some answers will come out today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 05:24 PM
Banned

The guy is a criminal pretty much, and a coward. He should be jailed. This was a massive story here, and a very tragic one.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 05:40 PM
Premier Cat

I would say after the SECOND problem (the Allegra breaking down in the middle of pirate infested waters) last week Costa is about done for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 06:03 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge View Post
This was a massive story here, and a very tragic one.
Big story here, too. Two of the people still unaccounted for are from less than an hour from here. The whole state was glued to the coverage from the wreck. Just awful.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 06:39 PM
Banned

The man's a disgrace to professional sailors everywhere, a Captain is honor bond to stay with his ship until everyone else has been gotten to safety.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 07:57 PM
Premier Cat

There were rumors that while the ship was sinking, crew and customers trapped he was having dinner with his gf.

There's controversy about whether or not he actually said this but

Quote:
after his retirement, goes the story, Churchill was cruising the Mediterranean on an Italian liner and an Italian journalist asked why a former British Prime Minister chose an Italian ship. "There are three things I like about being on an Italian cruise ship," Churchill supposedly says. "First, their cuisine is unsurpassed. Second, their service is superb. And then, in time of emergency, there is none of this nonsense about women and children first."
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator

When I heard this taped conversation, it made me sick. It's just as bad reading it.

Quote:
De Falco: "This is De Falco from Livorno. Am I speaking with the captain?"
Schettino: "Yes. Good evening, Cmdr. De Falco."
De Falco: "Please tell me your name."
Schettino: "I'm Capt. Schettino, commander."
De Falco: "Schettino? Listen, Schettino. There are people trapped on board. Now, you go with your lifeboat under the prow on the starboard side. There's a rope ladder. You climb that ladder and go aboard. Go aboard and tell me how many people there are. Is that clear? I'm recording this conversation, Capt. Schettino."
Schettino: "So, I'll tell you something..."
De Falco: "Speak up!"
Schettino: "So, at this moment, the boat is tipping..."
De Falco: "I got it. Listen, there are people coming down the rope ladder from the prow. You go up that ladder, get on that ship and tell me how many people are still on board and what they have on board. Is that clear? You need to tell me if there are children, women or people in need of assistance. And tell me the exact number of each of these categories. Is that clear? Schettino, you may have saved yourself from the sea, but I'm going to make you pay, I'm going to make your life miserable. Get the (bleep) on board!
Schettino: "I'm here with the rescue boats, I'm here, I haven't gone anywhere, I'm here.
De Falco: "What are you doing there, captain?"
Schettino: "I am here to coordinate the rescue..."
De Falco: "What are you coordinating there? Go aboard! Coordinate the rescue from aboard the ship. Are you refusing?"
Schettino: "No, no, no, I am not refusing."
De Falco: "YOU GO ABOARD: That's an order. Don't make any more excuses. You declared abandon ship, now I'm in charge. YOU GO ABOARD. Is that clear?"
Schettino: "Commander, I'm going aboard."
De Falco: "Go, and call me when you are aboard. My air rescue is on the prow. Go. There are already bodies, Schettino."
Schettino: "How many bodies are there?"
De Falco: "I don't know! One for sure! I've heard of one. You're the one who has to tell me how many there are. Christ!"
Schettino: "You realize it's dark and here we can't see anything..."
De Falco: "And what? You want go home, Schettino? It's dark and you want to go home? Get on that prow of the boat using the rope ladder and tell me what can be done, how many people there are and what they need. Now!"
Of course, he never went back.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by marie73; 03-03-2012 at 08:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page