Good times - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Good times

So Tuesday night after dinner I flopped with my kitties to watch some Tv. I noticed that my right hand kept slipping out from under my head. I stood up and my right leg was numb as well. It seemed to be getting worse so I called 911.

At ER they took cat scans and discovered that i had a hemorrhagic stroke, caused by hypertension. Tuesday night my left hand/leg were unusable and my speech sounded like a drunken frat boy.

I'm very blessed with amazing family and friends. I had called my mother while waiting for 911 and she contacted the hospital and bullied my status out of them while i was still in ER. She was on a plane a few hours later.

She will stay for this month and my SO will come up for all of next month and mom got tickets for May already to come back after he goes.

I can already walk short distances and use my right hand. They aren't quite reliable and a little hard to control but the more i work them the faster my brain makes new pathways. I sit up at night and do dexterity exercises. My face is back to normal except for a very slight droop in my right eyelid and unless i talk too fast or try to sing my speech is normal.

They expect me home by Sunday or Monday with daily outpatient physical therapy for a little while.

The cats were fed by my apartment maintenance until my mom got there. She told me that Book was fine, just hungry but MowMow was frantic. She said at night he paces and cries. She says that he comes for pets but had dragged my dirty shirt from work to my computer chair and spends most of his time laying on it. I asked her to pull a few others out of the hamper and not not wash them so he feels better. She says he is is eating and peeing so that's good. When he cries she gives him a dirty shirt and he lays down on it and quiets down. She also wonders how "you manage to live with that maniac black cat" who ate her oatmeal, stole her hearing aid and ran off with an entire loaf of bread while she was standing right there.

Last edited by MowMow; 03-09-2012 at 08:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 08:22 AM
Banned

Wowee... I saw an update on Facebook from Mowmow about this. This goes to show JUST how important it is to learn the symptoms of the beginning of a stroke. Great to hear you're on the mend so quickly.

I have to say, I really laughed at your last sentence... Mowmow is great
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Agreed, they tell me that had i ignored the early symptoms it would have been much worse. i was in the ER within 30 minutes of the first symptom.

To be fair, i DID warn her not to leave anything out with Book around
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 08:43 AM
Premier Cat

Holy Moly!!! How scary! Kudos to you for recognizing signs so early, and for acting on them. Like you said, it could have been so much worse.

You are very lucky to have such great family. Your mom sounds like a sweetie. Poor MowMow, but that last line was very funny!

Take care, and I hope everything goes well over the next weeks for you.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 10:35 AM
Cat Addict

You seem to be typing much better than a few days ago, you are recovering so quickly!! Eric and I were both so worried about you, we are glad you are starting to get better.

Becky, the proud momma of:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 11:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowMow View Post
Agreed, they tell me that had i ignored the early symptoms it would have been much worse. i was in the ER within 30 minutes of the first symptom.

To be fair, i DID warn her not to leave anything out with Book around
Sorry, yeah I meant Book.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 11:21 AM
Tom Cat

Oh Krissy! I am so relieved you are on the mend, that's just frightening. Your mon and SO are so great for coming out and helping. Poor MowMow, but you'll be back better than ever soon!

Rest up and feel better soon my dear!
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 11:27 AM
Senior Cat

Scary stuff! Glad you are ok, and poor MowMow! He really is a momma's boy. When my mom had a stroke a few years ago, she lost a lot of dexterity in her left hand. She got a coloring book and crayons and colored every night, the doctor was impressed by how quickly she got use back in her hand. So, definately use your right hand as much as possible. Knitting, coloring, or chin scratches just keep those fingers moving.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 11:40 AM
Premier Cat

What a scary experience! That's the type of thing you would never expect in a million years.

I hope you're doing okay now and continue to get stronger every day. It sounds like you have a good support system and the kitties will look after you too.

Holly and Murphy
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 12:56 PM
Senior Cat

Shucks!!! Not what I was expecting from the title of this thread!!! So glad you got help quickly and have loved ones to help you!!! Hope you have a speedy recovery!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lucille & Koko
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page