What was he thinking??? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

What was he thinking???

So a colleague from work called today for 'advice'. Apparently, his soon-to-be 10 year old daughter has been begging for a pet. He doesn't think she's mature enough to care for one and it would end up falling on him and he doesn't want to deal with it (his wife is out of the country a lot caring for her ailing father). He wanted to know if there were any programs where he could 'lease' a pet! He wants it housed somewhere else, like the shelter, and he and his daughter would just visit sometimes. I told him I didn't think that was moral for the animal, and I didn't know of any such programs, except sometimes they lease out horses. He comes from a country where animal welfare is not a consideration, and animals are commonly mistreated, but geesh! I also told him he could donate to the humane society or something and he could volunteer to play with, care for and pet the animals, but you don't get to claim one as 'yours' unless you take it home and take full responsibility. What was he thinking??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 11:07 PM
Cat Addict

'Lease' a pet, eh?

Sounds like dad and daughter are the perfect candidates for .... Webkinz (trademark) virtual pets !!!

Forget a dog or cat! Dad can even get her a dinosaur or a pony or an aardvark -- cheap! no need for food, love or extra space at home!

All his little girl needs is a computer. And dad can help! He can even do stuff like turning off the third-party advertising that will track her every move on the site...!

Fran
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 11:33 PM
Super Moderator

You can definitely lease horses, but I would imagine it's pretty expensive.

They have programs where people can go to shelters and play with cats to help socialize them, but in San Diego at least, you have to be over 18.

I would think a hamster or gerbil would be a good "starter" pet. I had both when I was a kid. My sister had guinea pigs.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator

Maybe not so far fetched...

The Voice's Coolest Cat: Where Did Cee Lo Get His Purrfect Accessory? - E! Online

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 08:42 PM
Cat Addict

I don't believe in 'starter pets'. They all have feelings and needs.

I think volunteering to snuggle pets at the spca is their best bet. Or a pet rock.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator

By "starter pet" I meant a first pet. I think lots of families do this to see how well their child can handle the responsibility.

I loved my gerbils and hamsters and still remember all their names.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 12:46 PM
Premier Cat

Maybe we need to have "Cat Cafes" here in the states! They did a show on this on the season premier of Must Love Cats a couple weeks ago.

Paying for Petting Time in Japan's Cat Cafs - Video - TIME.com
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 01:52 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug View Post
Yes, but note the price tag. Photographers have been known to rent animals, but always on a quite temporary basis.

I'm not sure if the horse in the movie National Velvet was rented, but Elizebeth Taylor is said to have adopted it after the movie.

I wonder if a foster would be the first step to see if the girl would look after it.

JusJim
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 02:33 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73 View Post
By "starter pet" I meant a first pet. I think lots of families do this to see how well their child can handle the responsibility.

I loved my gerbils and hamsters and still remember all their names.
Sorry, I should have elaborated a bit. I know that some people (like you and I) loved their small pets just as much as we love our kitties. But most people (by which I mean the vast majority of parents that I have met/talked to, a few of my friends, many of my relatives, ect) thought of them as 'just a ____'.

Because of the number of times I've had to hear about someone's hamster/gerbil/guinea pig ect dying because it was 'just a hamster', ect and they wouldn't take it to the vet, I don't think there are any pets who should be thought of as a starter pet. I have three guinea pigs and I have taken them to the vet. I don't take them for yearly checkups, but I do take them if they're sick or hurt. I have a vet who is an exotics vet specifically so that she can help me take care of all my pets. My leopard geckos have been to the vet as one, one has had surgery. If you aren't willing to spend money on an animal, regardless of what you paid for it initially, then you should't have an animal.

I think ANY pet that a family takes in should be a family pet. This means that it should live in family areas such as the living room ect until the child is responsible enough to understand that they have a life in their hands.

I know of too many pets who died because a kid forgot to feed it, and since the hamster/whatever was in the kids room mum and dad (who were otherwise nice normal people) didn't think of it. It's a lot harder for that to happen if the animal is watching you sit on the couch and watch TV.

I don't think that any child should get a pet to prove that they can be responsible. They should be getting a pet once they have already proven it!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 02:57 PM
Nan
Cool Cat

I agree- can't they just visit their local humane society or ASPCA and offer to visit and play with a few animals on weekends? !

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page