Film 2012. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 06:04 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Film 2012.

So I'll start a film thread for this year...

...with a film released in 2008.

Valkyrie (200
"Based on actual events, a plot to assassinate Hitler is unfurled during the height of WWII."

This is a fascinating series of events that I knew little about. I knew Von Stauffenberg was involved in an assassination attempt, but I had no idea how close he came to succeeding (or indeed, how popular his plan was). This wasn't some whackjob nutter wanting attention, this was a large group of very senior German officers who wanted Germany to end the war and retain some dignity.

The film was very good I thought, and had a great cast (Bill Nighy, Kenneth Branagh and... Eddie Izzard (lol, seriously, I had to pause it and check, but he's there). After being rejected for the role of an Ent in the Lord of the Rings for being too wooden, Tom Cruise was an odd choice for the lead role. But, I thought he did pretty well. Even if one of the most famous Geman deserters of WW2 had an American accent. He really does the brooding stare very well though.

Overall I gave it an 8/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 01:57 PM
Premier Cat

Bravo,Hugh! Yummy thread.

I,too liked Valkrie. Von Stauffenberg saw the plot as a plan to recue the TRUE Germany. His last words are debated: "Long live our sacred'-or SECRET-'Germany'!

Scream 4. A lot of the 'spoliers' are FALSE,MISLEADING! Best Line:'1st rule of remakes: don't...with the original.'
post #3 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 03:41 AM Thread Starter
Banned

His last words were DEFINITELY "sacred". it's mentioned in the film several times, and that was the term used by anti-war Germans (it may have been used by pro-war Germans as well, but I don't know for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 12:53 PM
Premier Cat

Er...yup. I Just listened to it,SACRED is right! Sacred Germany,I'll have to research that,Hugh. 'Long live Sacred Germany!' Thanks!

DIRECTORS,WRITERS,1 of my favorites is M Night Shyalaman. I loved Signs, and Unbreakable. The Village was good and the 6th Sense was SCARY. I for one 'got'-and loved-Lady In The Water. I haven't seen Devil or The Happening yet,but they look good. I think that Last Airbender was intriguing,and not just for the young target audience. A bold step,I'M hoping he'll write an original magical fantasy.

'How many more of you are there?'
post #5 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 02:54 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to my5kitties
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemilk View Post
DIRECTORS,WRITERS,1 of my favorites is M Night Shyalaman...I think that Last Airbender was intriguing,and not just for the young target audience. A bold step,I'M hoping he'll write an original magical fantasy.
M. Night Shamalamabingbang ROYALLY f'ed up The Last Airbender. I hope he is never allowed near that story again.

----------
Renée
post #6 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 05:42 PM
Premier Cat

What I'd love to see is feature film versions of anime,like Bleach,Fullmetal Alchemist,monster or Requiem From The Darkness. But it's a daunting task to adapt an animated series to a live action format,it usually ends in disaster. Case in point: POPEYE.
post #7 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 04:41 PM
Premier Cat

There's been a heckuva lot of remakes. I haven't see the remade slasher classics,or the 1st gone in 60 seconds. I wonder if Star Trek is has a sequel in the works. Logically captain,they WERE true to the original. It's a different TIMELINE. On my to remake list:a sequel or remake of Saturday Night Fever. The STORY is very today. It'll never happen of course,but... What if John Travolta reprises his role? He has kids who dance...well,if he played a female role in hairspray,who knows?
post #8 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 07:14 PM
Premier Cat

I have a new favorite fantasy movie. If you haven't seen Eragon yet,do yourself the favor. It adds a fresh twist to classic themes. The young hero is a kind,rough-and-tumble brash youth who poaches to feed his family. The mentor is hard-bitten,but still hasn't completely lost his innocence. Eragons dragon compnion is very draconic,AND good company,AND occasionally a mother figure. And the VILLAINS...20 minutes into the movie,you want to JUMP the lapdog of the lead villain,and the lead villain is a tough fighter.
post #9 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 07:24 PM
Premier Cat

I didn't enjoy the movie AT ALL. I thought they butchered the books. I may have enjoyed it if I hadn't read(and enjoyed) the book.
post #10 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 01:56 PM
Cat

Mowmow, that's why I didn't see that one! I usually avoid book-movies of books I enjoyed. Except 'The Princess Bride'.
Another exception was 'One for the Money.' The adaptation of Janet Evanovich's (sp?) first Stephanie Plum book. Did anyone see that one? I'm kinda on the fence. I think the adaptation was okay as far as what was kept and left out but I wasn't excited about the casting work. Not bad but kind of underwhelming. It had the feeling of a romantic comedy but wasn't really... Not really something I typically would be willing to pay to see in a theater but I enjoyed the book series up to about 12.

p.s. Good choice, Hugh. I enjoyed that movie as well! How did you feel about Inglorious Basterds?

Last edited by Julz; 05-03-2012 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Another thought
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page