Vegemite and other spreads - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2012, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Vegemite and other spreads

My friend brought me back a travel-tube of Vegemite from Australia,and I loved the stuff. What else can you do with it besides the standard Vegemite sandwich? Can you get it in the U.S.?

Some cultural exchange. Got the blues? SLATHER 1 piece of bread with peanut butter, and the other with jelly. Put 'em together. Enjoy! Wash it down with milk,and you've got an American blues-buster!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2012, 03:01 PM
Premier Cat

They sell it in most grocery stores where I am. It's usually with the jams/jellies and always up on a high shelf. I like it on toast, but p refer Marmite.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2012, 04:52 PM
Cool Cat

I LOVE Vegemite! I usually just have it on toast with butter. I've also enjoyed a vegemite sandwich with salt and vinegar flavoured chips on it. Yum! I know of a few people here in Australia that have vegemite and lettuce sandwiches - i've not tried that one though. My husband has also told me when he was little, he'd have vegemite on his cheese and tomato toasted sandwiches. Also, there's a person at my work who has vegemite with avocado on her toast..

I always put a dob of vegemite into stews when I cook them, just to give them abit of extra flavour.

There's a relatively new spread here called "Mighty Mite". It's kind of like a vegemite/promite mix. It's a little more runny than vegemite and I love that stuff too!

Bec

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2012, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

I had it once on mac and cheese! Yum.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2012, 08:11 PM
Tom Cat

Just vegemite on toast here, or occasionally on a roll. Growing up we always had cheese and vegemite sandwiches.
It's best spread thin, often seen Americans tasting it spread far too thick and then they don't like it.

The kitties all love vegemite on toast too.

When I lived in Canada mum would send it over to me, it was available but horribly expensive and only the smallest jar.

Only Vegemite, never Marmite, Mighty Mite or Aussie Mite. And not the Cheesymite Vegemite, though I have an unopened jar of the shortlived iSnack 2.0

Peanut butter with jelly (jam??) does not appeal to me at all lol
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2012, 08:40 PM
Cat Addict

no one except people in the united states seems to like pbj. i had a friend from spain who was convinced that peanut butter was just chewed up and spit out by someone else LOL and refused to go near it. i kind of feel the same about about creamy peanut butter, i only like crunchy.

then i got a guy from france addicted to it because the only way he'd ever had it was wonderbread and creamy. plum daisy jalapeno peach jam with fifty 50 chunky peanut butter on orowheat healthnutŠ bread is a different story.

this sounds really weird, but jalapeno jelly (it's hot and sweet at the same time) with cream cheese on carr's water biscuits is awesome.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2012, 10:40 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderflower View Post

this sounds really weird, but jalapeno jelly (it's hot and sweet at the same time) with cream cheese on carr's water biscuits is awesome.
I think I'd actually like that! I used to love jalapeno's (from a jar) on crackers with cream cheese - I don't know if I'd be able to get jalapeno jelly/jam here though..

Bec

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2012, 10:42 PM
Premier Cat

Black pepper/Olive oil triscuits with whipped cream cheese spread on them. Yum Yum Yum!!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

I love Jif,but have tried organic. Homemade peanut butter tastes a lot different than store bought. Once,when I was a kid,we bought a TUB of the stuff at a farmers market. We took it home,and my sainted mother made me a pbj. She opened the screen-and IN scurried a large squirrel! He dove into the opened tub, and was feasting til me mother chased him out with a broom. We didn't want the rest of it! Ay, but wasn't the pbj absolutely brill!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 07:36 PM
Premier Cat

I make my own PB and it is a world of difference from the processed garbage most people push on their kids.

It's really so easy to make as well, takes me less than 10 minutes and stored in the fridge never lasts more than a week 'cause I can't stop eating it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page