Furry, cuddly, cute back yard visitor! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Furry, cuddly, cute back yard visitor!

Bet you were expecting a sweet little fawn, weren't you!! Came in just before dark a couple nights ago. I'm just happy this one wasn't on the patio!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 11:24 AM
Tom Cat

I have those guys in my woods from time to time too. One of them bent an 8 foot "Shepard's Hook" with a large, sunflower seed filled bird feeder almost to the ground.

Oh - BTW. Sweet fawn? We have those too! They don't destroy the bird feeders.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 01:48 PM
Senior Cat

Great pics! There is a herd of deer that go through my parent's backyard everynight and one of them always eats seed out of their birdfeeders haha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Help control the pet population, have your pets spayed or neutered" - Bob Barker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 02:09 PM
Tom Cat

Send a message via MSN to LaurulFeatherCat
We have had three black bears trapped within a quarter mile of my house which is actually located less than four blocks from our main square in the boro. They finally tapped the one living in the cemetary closest to my house by using stale donuts after several tries.

I often have quail, Canada Geese and pheasants in my yard at the bird feeder. They like flying over my six foot high board fence and roosting in the lower branches of my Chinese chestnut tree. The parrots in the birdroom at the back of the house enjoy watching the wild birds and the squirrels, 'possums and racoons.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Sounds like you've got quite a bit of nature around you too, Laurul. I live right in front of a big woods, so we see a lot here.

The first 4 years we were here we didn't see any bears, but the last few months we've seen several, two in our yard, and more around our area. They say the bear and wolf populations are exploding here. I haven't seen any wolf yet, but I know the DNR is having public meetings about controlling the population. They've been quite destructive as the numbers increase. Alot of lost livestock, especially north of us.

I don't much care for the bear and wolf, or the fox and coyote either. I much prefer the deer we get, and all the bird life around us, though we did choose not to put the bird feeders back out after having the big bear on the patio last fall. Honestly, neither of us miss the mess.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 01:39 PM
Premier Cat

Geri, Ive heard lots of reports of bears wandering in farms and residental areas up North. It was a big deal to see bears when I lived in Jackson Hole. I could watch them for hours with my binoculars. But I stayed in my SUV.

That fawn is prescious! I wonder where its mom was! You really do live in the "Big House in the Little Woods". You are so fortunate.

If there were more wolves you wouldnt be having the bear problem your experiencing. The 53 gray wolves reintroduced in the West have created such a crisis with the ranchers. (im all for the reintroduction) They have been such a possitive for the enviromental system esp in Yellowstone NP.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 11:31 AM
Tom Cat

Send a message via MSN to LaurulFeatherCat
When I first moved to Mechanicsburg in 1985 the little boro was surrounded by farms and isolated patches of forrest. But gradually most of those farms were sold for housing tracts and mainly now the boro is surrounded by miriad named housing project with big, big (starting at 250 thousand dollars) houses. Mechanicsburg was forced to expand their school district and built brand new elementary, middle and high schools. So the wild areas are gone now and just a few wood tracts are left. Luckily Mechanicsburg is close to the mountains that enclose the Cumberland Valley which runs toward the Cumberland Gap down in Maryland. So the wildlife is holding on in the valley and the mountains are still undeveloped. Mechanicsburg is a nice place to live and remains a small boro and the townships around Mechanicsburg are growing very quickly.

I miss the farms and the area as it was when I arrived, but one cannot stop population growth. Our area is expanding rapidly.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 11:32 AM
Cool Cat

I do so miss living in the country and seeing those sights!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

I tell Dave all the time, the day the fields across the road, and to our left, turn into anything other than farmland.........we are putting the house up for sale, and moving! The corner field came up for sale a couple years ago, and I got a bit nervous, but it was snapped up by a farmer, so it ended well. The 15 acres next to us, we came close to buying, but the guy is being a jerk, and changed the offer once he knew we were interested. We won't do business with him until he is ready to deal, and act civilized about it. The day more houses move in is coming, and it will change everything, I don't want to be here if that happens.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 11:54 AM
Premier Cat

Geri you live in a little bit of heaven!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page