yeeee-owch - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

yeeee-owch

I had Io on my lap today while Roomba was running. I had just given her a treat and was soothing her (she hates Roomba), when the %*(# vaccuum crashing into something with a loud BUMP. Io took off like a rocket and used my hand as a launch pad.

I didn't think it was too bad this morning, but it's pretty puffy now. I'll wrap it in polysporin and see how it looks in the morning.

This is the first time Io's ever broken skin. I feel awful. I know it wasn't her fault, and she was just scared, but I should have done, I don't know, something to keep her from freaking out. She jumped up on my lap 'cause she was afraid (she's not normally a lap cat) and then she had to be scared by the Roomba monster AND me shouting because I was hurt/bleeding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 04:48 AM
Premier Cat

I hope your hand feels better this morning. Perhaps you will need to get rid of Roomba and just clean the old fashioned way to prevent future problems?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 05:50 AM
Tom Cat

Send a message via MSN to LaurulFeatherCat
You did nothing wrong and you were trying to soothe Io. The next time you are trying to soothe, do not put your hand in that position, OK? You may wish to try some one percent hydrocortisone cream to the scratches if the neosporin does not take the soreness out of the scratches. The HC cream will decrease the histamine reaction to having cat antigens injected deep under the skin. It could be you have a minor allergy to cats. If the scratches get puffier, redder and much more sore, please see your doctor, especially if you get any actual drainage out of the scratches; cat claws are very dirty and easily cause infection when driven that deep into the skin.

Shame on you having a monster like a Roomba! HA, Ha, ha!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 12:27 PM
Tom Cat

Ouch! Is the roomba very loud? Could you put Io in one room and the roomba in another?

My cats are crazy, they just watch me vacuum. Sometimes I have to shoo Ollie out of the way. But they were kittens raised in the house, I guess they were used to it from early on.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Roomba's not normally that loud (quieter than an upright vaccuum). The problem is that it has sensors in it to detect walls and slow down before it runs into them. The sensors aren't the greatest so it will run into table legs at full speed. It knocked over a small table and made a huge BANG. :/

Thanks guys. When Roomba's running, Io always has access to safe spaces (her litter/safe room, for one, and her cathouse / window are blocked off by the Roomba "lighthouses", so the vaccuum doesn't go there.). Next time I'll try using the lighthouse to block off the bedroom at first, and have her in there when it starts. If that doesn't work I'll try locking her in the bedroom, I guess.

I will not be cuddling her when the vaccuum's on for a long long time, if ever, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurulFeatherCat View Post
It could be you have a minor allergy to cats.
I wonder if this is the case. The two smaller scratches were fine this morning, but the middle one was red, sore, and had some yellow goopies in it (eeeewww). I soaked in warm water and intentionally re-opened the cut to get some polysporin in there. Between that and the Benedryl I took for my hangover's it's a bit better, not so angry-looking, but still sore. I have a dr's appt tomorrow (for birth control ) and may just ask her to take a quick look while I'm there. But I think it's fine.

I still feel awful. She was licking it this morning when I woke up and I had to push her away because I don't want any more cat spit.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 04:46 PM
Tom Cat

Send a message via MSN to LaurulFeatherCat
Cat spit, like dog spit and that of most mammals, actually have low grade antibiotic properties. However, cat saliva does have antibody proteins in it that the cat spreads on its fur while self grooming and anyone with a cat allergy, minor or major will get a reaction to the proteins pretty quickly. The oral benedryl should decrease the histamine reaction. If the problem is an actual infection, it won't to anything. Soaking the injury in warm salt water or epsoms salts would help draw out any bacteria.

My cats hate anything mechanical that moves independently, and that includes radio controlled cars and their radio controlled mouse. They very viciously attack it, the bold ones, and the shy and scared ones hide. I thought they would get a treat out of playing with the remote controlled toys, but it freaks them too much. Even after six months they have not started accepting them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page