post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Best Star Wars Movie?

I liked Jedi the best,both the 'silver' AND 'gold' versions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Has anyone seen the 3d Episode 1? I loved the underwater sequences!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 02:38 PM
Jr. Cat

Bluemilk,

Childhood fan of the whole series.. out of the original 3, Empire takes the crown. I'm not a hater of the "updated" versions, with the exception of knowing that Han did shoot first!

The prequels were ok (I may have liked them more as a child) I do have to say that episode 3, even though I knew what was going to happen, really bummed me out.. so perhaps it deserves the top notch for envoking a deep emotional response even when the story arc was well known.

Can't say I'm in a rush to see it in 3d. I think the whole thing is one old tire that has been retreaded so many times I've become sick of it. Too bad George can't think up something new to tinker with and leave Star Wars alone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 04:26 PM
Senior Cat

There was one?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Oh,sidestep. Don't get me started. btw,Hi!

Of the 2 versions I say...

HAN FIRED 1ST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He was well within his rights and completely in his character.

Han Solo,at this point in his life, is someone who lives on society's fringes. And except for Chewbacca ,he goes it SOLO. ALONE. Distracting Greedo with a hand gesture then shooting him under the table demonstates the cunning and quickness that have allowed Han to SURVIVE. SOLO.

With a gun pointed at him,and with one of Jabba's hunters making it clear he wants to KILL HAN-directly or indirectly-Han has every right to defend his life.

And heck,he tried to reason with him,right?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

It's cool to meet another Starwarsian. Hi again sidestep99!

Do you do the Expanded Universe? I like how Tim Zahn-one of my favorite sf authors,started things off. Vornskyyrs who hunt by the Force,compications with Threepio's programming-he'd send the enemy the translation, TALON KARRDE!!!!!

btw,whether Han fired 1st is a HUGE debate. You and me just happen to be right!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 09:18 AM
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemilk View Post
Oh,sidestep. Don't get me started. btw,Hi!

Of the 2 versions I say...

HAN FIRED 1ST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He was well within his rights and completely in his character.

Han Solo,at this point in his life, is someone who lives on society's fringes. And except for Chewbacca ,he goes it SOLO. ALONE. Distracting Greedo with a hand gesture then shooting him under the table demonstates the cunning and quickness that have allowed Han to SURVIVE. SOLO.

With a gun pointed at him,and with one of Jabba's hunters making it clear he wants to KILL HAN-directly or indirectly-Han has every right to defend his life.

And heck,he tried to reason with him,right?
Bluemilk,

Hello! I loved the movies but didn't read the books.. The only sci fi classic books like that that I did read was the 2001, 2010, 2061 and 3001 series by Arthur Clarke. 2001 and 2010 were really good, 2061 was ok and 3001 was bad IMO. I've read more of Stephen King's works, the dark tower series in particular that I liked and am waiting for that series to make it to the big screen.

Anyway, The problem with Solo is this: What is the central idea of a character in any story.. How they grow/change, for bet better or worse.. in other words.. their arc..

When we saw Solo shoot first, we saw someone who was an outlaw, tough guy, caring for no one but himself.. A point that Lucas makes several more times in the movies.. But throughout the original movies we see Han grow, become a hero, wanting to stay and fight, caring for others.. a true conversion. It is a good story arc, albeit not the main story arc but still important.

By Greedo shooting first it does become more of a self-defense (not to mention poor aim on Greedo's part) and Solo is less a outlaw and more of a desperate guy lucky to live after that encounter.

That's my opinion of why I don't like it. In a related subject it was great to see Chewbacca on his home world in episode 3. Giving a great character a bit more depth.

So did you like the prequels? Like I said, it was a different perspective watching them as an adult. The idea that these movies that were so important to me as a kid are now just a another set of movies that was such a small part of my world was interesting to me. In many ways I didn't get as upset as others because I just didn't care all that much. Are they perfect? Nope, could they? I don't think so.. Are they a good way to waste time? Sure..
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Greatest quote from the saga:'This is some rescue! When you came IN,did you have a plan for getting OUT!?'
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 07:55 PM
Jr. Cat

It's hard to pick the best part of a series. I like return of the sith, the empire strikes back and return of the jedi but all for different reasons. Those 3 are great.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 09:59 AM
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemilk View Post
Greatest quote from the saga:'This is some rescue! When you came IN,did you have a plan for getting OUT!?'
Actually BlueMilk,

So what you want about the movie or the character but I got to go with this line:

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause."

By Padmé Amidala.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page