Afraid I may have to make the decision for my old dog soon - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 02:50 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Afraid I may have to make the decision for my old dog soon

My dog Farley has been with my for almost 14 years now, I got her a few when I was 6 going on 7 as an early birthday present.My parents rescued her for my from the pound for me as a surprise. Took her to the vet when we first got here and she was aged 8- 10.She is the best dog ever and I always want whats best for her.

Unfortunately as of lately her mental state is seems to be going, she is almost blind ( started getting cataracts 2 years after we got her) going deaf. Her hips are going out on and she is now having accidents in the house ( totally house trained all the time we had her)and her skin allergies are really acting up. So next pay check I am taking her to the vet for a health check up to see how she is doing from their stand point. If she is suffering I really don't want to force her to live through it and I'll have to make the choice.But at the same time I'm afraid to make that choice, because she's my best friend who has been through heck and back with me, Farley was and still pretty much is the only consistent thing in my life. Also their is a tiny part of me that is scared that I will make that choice at the wrong time when she still maybe would have had a while longer to live happily.

(sorry if that's confusing, its late and I'm feeling down)
To make a long post short if you had to make the decision to put a loved pet to sleep, how long did you wait to make the decision? How did you handle going about making it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 03:17 AM
Super Moderator

No matter when you make the choice, you'll always wish you had more time with her. One more day, one more hour, anything. It's such a personal decision. With Cinderella (my first cat), since I knew she was terminal, as soon as she no longer wanted to eat, I felt it was time. I couldn't bring myself to force-feed her just so she'd be with me longer. It's also a quality of life decision.

I'm so sorry you're going through this, Farley sounds like she's been your best friend for so many years.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 08:26 AM
Premier Cat

I'm so sorry that you're going through this now. It's agonizing, isn't it, but unfortunately it's usually part of having a pet. I think each person has to develop his/her own sense of these things, but in my one experience I probably erred on the earlier side. My cat had epilepsy and was having seizures, and it was really terrible for her.

Just remember that for Farley, this will be no different than just laying down and going to sleep, which is something she does every day. You're the one who has to grieve and live without her, which I really think is the harder of the two sides. So you're taking one on the chin so that Farley could have a good life with you and your family, and for that you should be very proud.

Holly and Murphy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 04:05 AM
Jr. Cat

I think it is more likely that people try and keep their animals going for longer than they should rather than the other way round. My dog Sally was 16 when I had her put to sleep and thinking about it now, I should have done it - oh at least 6 months earlier. It was only for selfish reasons that I didn't - because I didn't want to be without her and I was worried about my sons being upset - turns out that they were worried about me.

I had the vet come to my house to put her to sleep as she was always worried and stressed at the vets - it was very quick and peaceful. You will be upset whenever she goes.

I would take the vet's advice. Whenever I have had animals put to sleep (which is only four times now) - apart from with Sally - it was when the vet said to me "If this was my pet, this is what I would do".

And yes - you can love another dog as much although it might take a while. In fact I have never replaced Sally but that's because of my current lifestyle - out at work for too long at a time.

Thinking of you

"Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods.
Cats have never forgotten this." - Anonymous

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 02:08 PM
Cat

It is so sad when the time finally comes to have to make a decision. My beloved Misty was with me for almost 16 years, I adopted her at about 4 months old so it was so hard to make the decision. When she stopped eating and just slept all day long, I knew it was time. When I brought her to the vet and all kinds of tests were taken, the vet said it was time to let her go....so I did.

Till this day I think of her often and pray for her every night as I do other family I have lost. She was my first kitty and I loved her with all my heart, still do. I'm sure the decision you make will be the right one.

A cat can purr its way out of anything.- Donna McCrohan

"Happy is the home with at least one cat" - Italian Proverb

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 02:26 PM
Cat Addict

I'm sure you'll know if it's the right time. That won't make it any easier at the time but it does help eventually. Last October I had to say goodbye for now to my lovely Trixie. While she was eating and drinking and contented I was prepared to keep her going. When she took a turn for the worse, I was still hoping that the vet when she came to the house would have some last ditch idea for her to remain with me but, in my heart of hearts, I knew it was time. She was PTS in my arms. I cried buckets and I'm not going to pretend that I don't still miss her but, unfortunately, there are times when it is the last gift of love you can give to a beloved pet.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 02:02 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Where going to the vet next pay check for a health check up and well see what happens. But its to the point where she sleeps all day and when she is awake shes chewing on her self as her allergies are getting worse.I really don't want her to suffer. She has been my best friend and the only thing in my life that didn't get taken away or lost through out all the hard times. I have fought soo hard to keep her in my life, especially the last three. But up till now she was in good health.

Thank you for the kind words y'all have given me, I'll update with more once we go to the vet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page