Introducing my nonfeline companions - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Introducing my nonfeline companions

I have been active in rescue for 9 years. At 22 years old I own 4 cats, 2 dogs, and a rabbit that thinks he's a cat. I've already introduced my cats. Here's Carlos the malamute (12yrs), Moonpie the basset hound mix (8 yrs) and Punkin' the silver bred (7 yrs).

Moonpie helps me raise all my bottle-feeders. She will stimulate them and keep them warm. She will also come and get me for feeding times. After the first litter I never had to set a timer again.

Carlos has only been with me since March this year. He was going to be euthanized by a local veterinarian because he was a blind stray that no one claimed. I took him in and he's doing pretty well. Definitely getting the old age issues but he's playful and happy.

Punkin' is about 7 years old and neutered. He is cage-trained and treats his cage like a litterbox when it's open. I only let him out supervised b/c I can't trust my foster cats when I have them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 10:27 PM
Senior Cat

I am completely in love with Moonpie's mothering of the kittens... quite possibly the cutest thing ever! It's great that you took Casper in so he could have a nice old age... is his blindness from cataracts or genetic or what? Pumpkin is very cute... I've never heard of a rescue rabbit but I think it's great that there's someone out there to help them too!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by minikin44 View Post
I am completely in love with Moonpie's mothering of the kittens... quite possibly the cutest thing ever! It's great that you took Casper in so he could have a nice old age... is his blindness from cataracts or genetic or what? Pumpkin is very cute... I've never heard of a rescue rabbit but I think it's great that there's someone out there to help them too!
I haven't bottle fed in about 3 months now (taking a break) and anytime I get a carrier from the garage for a transport she cries and looks for "her babies". Its very cute.

Carlos has cataracts and dry eye issues, his eyes are actually shrinking but we put 3 different eye medications in to stop the process and he feels much better than originally. He also has been recently diagnosed with heartworms and we are doing a very very light treatment which has been put on an even lighter dose after he had an embolism yesterday from dead worms in his arteries (It's been a long 48 hours for me!) He's up and walking now, but he was down for a few hours. Luckily I work for a veterinary neurologist and we got him treated fast enough for no permanent damage. I slept on the floor with him last night to make sure he didn't get up and hurt himself.

I've fostered and re-homed 8 rabbits (roughly one a year), 7 guinea pigs, 4 rats, 12 birds, and 3 goldfish. I've also done overnight care pre-transport for squirrels and baby wild rabbits before taking them to the wildlife rehabbers. Punkin' was left at the doorstep of our rescue facility. He's my favorite breed of rabbit so I had them neuter him that day. While under anesthesia we determined he's probably around 7 years old. He goes to kindergarten and 1st grade to help teach children the general needs of pets (love, food, water, shelter, "doctors", etc). He goes in the middle of their sitting-circles and they get to play a game, whoever he comes up to for a pet has to tell him something they think he'll need to be happy. Carrots is a popular answer. I fill in the blanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 10:01 PM
Cat

Bless you Thai. You truly have a rare & wonderful heart.

judy

"Where am I going and why am I in this handbasket?"
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 01:47 PM
Tom Cat

Very cute. Carlos is beautiful, I am so happy you saved him. Love the bunny too. So cute.

Every time I see little tiny kittens I want one. I think my 2 are plenty though! LOL!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page