Alcoholic drama - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Alcoholic drama

Oh dear. I just got a call from a friend (she is 59 years old, I am 31). She didn't know where she was at first, but then she figured it out. I am getting ready to go pick her up. Her dad is 90 and she takes care of him, but he is abusive (even at that age) and it drives her to drink waaaay too much. She apparently wandered the city all night drunk.

The rest of her family has disowned her. She lost her nursing career over it and everything else for that matter and I feel so horrible for her... I think I should let her stay over for a few days. I already took her in to the hospital last week for ODing on her dad's Vicodin and she is supposed to be in treatment this week. I will make sure she gets there tomorrow... Sigh... drugs destroy so many lives and society has no compassion. I hope I my helping actually helps.

Thanks for listening... just had to get that off my chest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 02:18 PM
Tom Cat

Do what's right to help your friend, but always keep in mind your own safety and wellbeing as well.

It can be very hard when someone you know is going through a tough time. Not everyone reacts well when put in a bad situation.

I wish you the best of luck. Hopefully, your friend will remember your kindness if you ever end up in need
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

She's spending her food stamp money on us at the store... LOL I guess that is cool since I lost my job and all. I ended up sending my fiance out to get her. He knows the area better than I and she is prone to wandering right now... she already called here instead of the cell by mistake to tell us that she isn't where she said she was... still waiting on them to get back...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 03:12 PM
Senior Cat

Hmm she's a saint for still taking care of her dad when he's abusive, but the drinking is bad... if I were her I think I'd just toss him out Maybe I'm a mean person but I feel like someone who abuses you is not worth ruining your life. The poor woman... I hope she and your fiance get back soon so you can breathe more easily.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 03:33 PM
Jr. Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to bellaboo
Smile

bless you for helping your friend.not many ppl hang in ther.she needs your support but also tough love.i know she is having a hard time with her dad but no exuse for drinking.or oding.she needs your love and support and also some professional help if she is that bad with drinking.give her a positive attitude and open arms.and maybe give her advise on how to get her dad in a nursing home or something.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 03:36 PM
Jr. Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to bellaboo
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by minikin44 View Post
Hmm she's a saint for still taking care of her dad when he's abusive, but the drinking is bad... if I were her I think I'd just toss him out Maybe I'm a mean person but I feel like someone who abuses you is not worth ruining your life. The poor woman... I hope she and your fiance get back soon so you can breathe more easily.
not mean just the truth.no one deserves any kind of abuse.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Well, she's here... still drunk. She must have drank a lot. I don't know why she won't put her dad in a nursing home. I'll talk to her and find out.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 05:19 PM
Premier Cat

It is important for her to get back to the treatment facility as soon as possible. She will not get better on her own at this point and she runs the risk of hurting herself in a lasting way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

She is better now. She says her dad refuses to go to a home. He is really mostly self-sufficient, he is just unsteady on his feet. He just needs people to mow the grass and take out the trash and stuff, so she could get away with just checking on him once a week or so. I am trying to convince her to stay with me or go to a halfway house.

I am taking her to the treatment facility tomorrow. She is enrolled in the IOP-Intensive Outpatient-- program (and I know the people there and they will let me stay and visit, plus I'll get free lunch and breakfast!). They should have kept her for a week or more for detox last Thursday, but they released her on Saturday! Grr... they said they didn't have enough beds. Whatever. At least she is safe now.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 11:32 AM
Premier Cat

What a sad situation for everyone involved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page