Dogs without leashes - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 05:31 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Dogs without leashes

I recently started walking my cat and it really makes me uncomfortable seeing dogs running around with no leashes. I live in a gated community and my neighbors have big dogs that are not on a leash. We haven't been attacked or chased but it puts the cat and I on edge. I just wish people didn't think they were above the law and followed the community rules.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 05:44 AM
Premier Cat

Is there a home owners association that over sees your community? I would certainly complain th them since the dogs running at large is a safety issue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 05:58 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leazie View Post
Is there a home owners association that over sees your community? I would certainly complain th them since the dogs running at large is a safety issue.
That is the plan. I am waiting on an actual community meeting to just bring it up myself. I am also weary of causing bad blood since my brother owns the house here and has to live around these people for a long time. The houses are really close together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 07:45 AM
Jr. Cat

Yeah - even if you're in the right (which I think you are) and your argument is clear, fair, and logical - home owners association meetings can become pretty heated and cause bad blood. Sometimes people just want to do what they want to do with no concern for others. I was thinking about walking my kitty because he seems to want to - but I'm worried for the same reason.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 10:34 AM
Cool Cat

You can frame it in other terms, and not just your cat's safety, but a child's safety, property damage, other things homeowners care about.

I'm in the same boat as you, but the problem is that our apartment building abuts one of the city's off-leash areas, so there's not much I can do. Even if I insisted to the property managers that dogs be leashed until they're in the appropriate area 100ft away, that's still too small a distance for me to feel safe bringing Io out. (dogs can be fast).
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 10:40 AM
Tom Cat

in a gated community, I'd leave an anonymous note to the main office or whomever is in charge. Yes, it's a passive way of doing things, but living with neighbors that are mad at you for reporting them is a pain in the ass.

no matter how diplomatically you bring it up, people will feel attacked then resentful. Some might even look for a way to get back at you (did you not bring your trash can in from the curb within the 12-hr window? Did you change a tire in your driveway when no car work is to be done on premises?

HOA battles never end...
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 11:26 AM
Premier Cat

As someone who is terrified of unknown dogs because she was bitten twice as a child, I can completely see where you are coming from. It is a safety issue for more reasons than just your kitty. I wouldn't be comfortable bringing it up publicly though, out of fear of retaliation, and I would leave an anonymous note as well. Call me a chicken, but I'd much rather get along with the neighbors peacefully.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 01:12 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thanks for the responses. Some good valid points. The only thing I can think of is to go to the main office and tell them about it in the hopes of trying to remain anonymous. I have feeling they'll know it was me though since everyone knows each other around here and is okay with it. Either way, it is going to be a sticky situation.

I still walk my cat and I think over time I am trying not to get too tense or to care. Worse case situation, I'll be bitten. I can scoop my cat up pretty quickly and thats what I do when we see a dog off leash. I need to get used to not getting the adrenaline rush haha, it ruins the walking experience.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 09:49 AM
Cat

I think going to the main office is a good idea. You should be able to express your concern and remain anonymous. In my community it would come out in the monthly newsletter as a reminder that pets need to be kept on leashes. Where I live there is a problem with the people not picking up their dogs poop in the public areas. The office even asked us to tattle if we observed who is offending. Your situation may be different, but that is how it is here.

Even tho most of the people here keep there dogs on leashes, my peeve is when they let the dog come up to me and sniff me up! I hate that!

tamara
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

We got attacked by the dog today, well just my cat. He is okay, the dog was really big and the cat clawed him and hissed. I pulled the cat up and he expressed his anal glands on me. The owner was like poor kitty and took her dog inside. We were both shaken with the incident but the cat is okay and quickly forgot about it. Twenty minutes later I went to talk to the dog owner but she didn't answer her door. Its quite frustrating, she just opens the door and lets him out to go poop/pee. I plan on reporting the attack to animal control when it opens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page