Headaches and "abnormal" blood test. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Headaches and "abnormal" blood test.

ugh...I've been having pretty severe headaches for about two years...in the past six months I've been losing weight (enough that a person that lives and works with me - basically sees me 24/7 - has noticed) and while I used to salivate while watching cooking shows I have no appetite or desire for food.

I have no insurance but since the pain is getting a lot worse and the weight thing - I decided to go to the doctor. I found one that takes cash here in Philly. He started talking about cancer and brain tumors and scary things. I'm 27 - I can't be that sick, right? <--my thought. Anyways, he did a bunch of blood tests and just texted me on friday with; "blood looks ok, except for one abnormality. will call in 30" He never called!! Granted, he doesn't have a secretary - it's all on him, and he's really trying to help get healthcare to people without insurance and since "city clinics" and such are a freaking joke here, I know he's verrry busy. It's just that now I'm all riled up and nervous. I'm shaking just thinking about it.

Ok..well..I just had to get that out. It's just me and my boyfriend - I don't have any family and no girlfriends to talk to so I just really needed to work my nerves out. I'm sure it's nothing serious - I keep telling myself that - but that was a screwed up message to send and then not call. I'm going to remind him on Monday of the cliffhanger he left me on - geez - what is this, a season finale for a drama? come on, doc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 09:56 AM
Cool Cat

First off, 27 isn't too young for a serious health issue. I work in an elementary school and have 14 students with serious health issues that I never even heard about in nursing school.
I have daily headaches from allergies. I have medication that helps, but not completely.
Reoccuring headaches, weight loss and loss of appetite can be signs of a very serious health issue. The fact that you've waited two years to go in probably worried the doctor enough to tell you the worst case senerio so you will come back in.

If he says he is going to call back, he should have called back.

Mom of
Skin kids - Jason, Kevin, Allison
Canine kids - Bennett & Bailey (always in our hearts), Riley, Banker, Rogue and Boz
Feline kids - Zoey, Talley and Abra
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 10:19 AM
Senior Cat

Wow, way to make you worry... if it was really serious (imminent danger), though, he would have called back. I had pretty much daily headaches too, also from allergies as Mom of 4 said, and about a migraine a month. Three allergy meds later the headaches are not so bad. I've lost weight, but that was on purpose, so I'm not sure about that part?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

I've been to doctors to try and figure out the headaches but again, with no insurance it's difficult when you're told come back and try this pill (300$) then come back and try that (150$) The headaches have gotten more severe plus the weight loss so that's why I tried to take action again.

That's what I was thinking - I mean, you take all this blood, drop disease names, and then text me with the word abnormal saying you'll call and then you don't! but that must mean it's not something that needs to be dealt with -right-this-second-..? I don't want to bother him today - but I'm sitting here anxious and nervous, doing myself a huge disservice by wandering around the internet looking up symptoms. <--very silly thing to do.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 10:39 AM
Banned

Normally I'd come up with some smartarse comment, but actually, that does sound pretty serious. Can't you call them yourself? Ok he should have called back, but I'd be on the phone 5 mins after he said he'd call.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 11:19 AM
Premier Cat

I know it is the weekend, but could you try to text him back? Tell him that you are worried based on his text and you need to know what is going on.

27 is not too young to be facing serious health concerns. We have a very good friend who has some health issues that are putting her health at risk. It is important that you don't let this slide.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 12:28 PM
Premier Cat

This is your health, there is every reason to call this guy every five minutes until you get the answers you deserve.

Also be sure to ask for copies of the blood test to research the numbers on your own.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

good idea mowmow.

I'm almost too nervous to push for an answer - but that's a huge cop out. I'm going to send him a message first thing in the morning and if I don't hear anything, I'll keep bugging him or walk over to his office.

thanks everyone - oh, and thanks huge for not being a smartass - in this instance, at least. :]
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 02:47 PM
Cat Addict

I'll step in for Hugh then.

The Doc probably figured that you wouldn't be around anymore in 30. Why waste the minutes

The last time people tried to elimate free roaming cats it resulted in The Black Plague.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

who uses minute plans anymore?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page