Quote from Nathan Winograd - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Quote from Nathan Winograd

I love this comment from Nathan Winograd about those who are in the NO KILL movement of shelter animals. Status quo shelters get angry when we speak out against killing adoptable animals because a shelter wont try new ways to get animals adopted and use 7 steps of the no kill equation which have proven to be successful. We will win this battle of the hearts and minds of the animal loving public in the US.

I accept that several people in my community wont talk to me because I stood up and suggested declawing was wrong, letting cats linger in shelters and not get medical care was unacceptable, to use TNR to help abandoned cats and ferals is needed in our community. These cats dont have a voice and we are their voice.

Here is Nathan Winograds quote.

Every social justice movement in history that has every succeeded - the abolition of slavery, women's rights, the civil rights movement - each of those movements were at one time dismissed as being too harsh and non-inclusive, too. Every single one of them. But had they not had people who were willing to stand up and say, in no uncertain terms, that slavery, or child labor, or the disenfrachisment of women was unequivocally wrong, we would not have inherited the more fair and just world that they had the tenacity, courage and vision to fight for. Your language toward the No Kill movement is not unprecedented in history. It is, in fact, tragically commonplace. But time has a way of turning the tables on the status quo - of making what is regarded as "harsh" by one generation a self-evident truth to the next. So you should ask yourself, what side of history do you want to be on?"

Last edited by Mitts & Tess; 10-08-2012 at 02:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

It doesnt say what state your in but contact Nathan Winograd or Ryan Clinton. They are both on FB too. There was big NO KILL convention recently where people from all over the country attended. Id bet Nathan or Ryan could put you in touch with people who focus just on legislation. If you run into a dead end PM me. Ill do some digging to help you too.

Shelter use several methods to euthanize adoptable animals. Some are barbaric. I was told not to put up pictures of gas chambers because it was offensive. It does rip your heart when you see these chambers and what an animals must be feeling when stuck into one. Very common in the South. Shock sticks are used also. Some shelters use needles and meds which stop the heart.

10,000 dogs and cats are euthanized a day. 75% of cats which enter kill shelters dont make it back out!

Last edited by Mitts & Tess; 10-08-2012 at 03:03 PM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 03:07 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitts & Tess View Post
It doesnt say what state your in but contact Nathan Winograd or Ryan Clinton. They are both on FB too. There was big NO KILL convention recently where people from all over the country attended. Id bet Nathan or Ryan could put you in touch with people who focus just on legislation. If you run into a dead end PM me. Ill do some digging to help you too.

Shelter use several methods to euthanize adoptable animals. Some are barbaric. I was told not to put up pictures of gas chambers because it was offensive. It does rip your heart when you see these chambers and what an animals must be feeling when stuck into one. Very common in the South. Shock sticks are used also. Some shelters use needles and meds which stop the heart.

10,000 dogs and cats are euthanized a day. 75% of cats which enter kill shelters dont make it back out!
Animal control at a city near here will euthanize animals for $15 using their gas chamber. It is disgusting. We end up pulling all of their dogs (they don't handle cats) on a weekly basis because they just don't want to take care of them on weekends even though they have room. I gave one a bath from there and the water was basically orange from urine instantly. The poor thing was miserable and had sores all over it. Mind you, this is a licensed facility and I can't even pick up a dog and keep it in my own home to care for it without being threatened with a year in jail and $1000 fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 03:11 PM
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdoptAnAngel View Post
Mitts, his statement is well-put. I'm glad you brought this up because I wanted to ask to see if anyone here can direct me to the best person for this. I'm looking for drafted H.R. legislation for abolishing the killing of cats. I'm usually in weekly in-person contact with a very animal-friendly Congressman and I'd like to be fully prepared. Does anyone know where I can find such pre-drafted legislation or whom you would recommend that I get in contact with?

What do they use to euthanize cats? Is it something that is used only in euthanization and how do they acquire it? Is it something any vet can order?
this website has all kinds of helpful guides for advocates:

Rescue Five-0

and here is the companion animal protection act page, click on the links that say CAPA for model legislation.

CAPA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Help control the pet population, have your pets spayed or neutered" - Bob Barker

Last edited by shan841; 10-08-2012 at 03:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page