Cat or Coon? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Talking Cat or Coon?

Lately there has been a lot of talk on the forum about Good Dogs Gone Bad and I guess itís made a niche in my thinking.

Last night I went to bed early because I was suffering a lot of pain and had to get up early for work, so I took a couple of Motrin PMs. I was awoken at 11:30PM by the dogs barking crazy outside and all I could think was that they may have a stray cat cornered. I was drowsy from the Motrin PM and still racked in pain so my wife went out to investigate.

She looked out the window and saw a rather large cat at the fish pond, so she ran out to get the dogs. When she reached the dogs, she was shocked to see a raccoon stealing fish out of the fish pond. Instead of grabbing a camera like I would have done, she feard for the dogís safety and grabbed a broom.

I lived here in this area for over 25 years and I have never even heard of raccoons around here and I wish had seen it myself or at least had a photo. I'm going to check my security camera tapes to see if it was recorded. I donít care that its eating my fish, because I would like to get rid of the fish pond anyway but they keep having babies and are about 10"long. I even thought about cooking them up and eating them myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Well I found the whole episode on my security cameras, but I can’t figure out to copy it from the DVR. You can only really see the raccoon’s eyes and the rest is hilarious. My wife is so funny when she realizes it’s a raccoon and her with the broom is way too funny.

I’m going to put it on YouTube as soon I figure it out, but I only have a week to do it before it records over,
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 11:21 PM
Senior Cat

Raccoons are every where I think..... I dont know where they wouldnt be And your wife should be careful they can be nasty if they really want to. Hunted them way to many times and had to many close calls to not know about the little boogers! They carry rabies too! Not good!

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
Raccoons are every where I think..... I dont know where they wouldnt be And your wife should be careful they can be nasty if they really want to. Hunted them way to many times and had to many close calls to not know about the little boogers! They carry rabies too! Not good!

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Oh I didnít think about rabies.

I found another shot of the raccoon coming up the front walkway and it looks like a large cat, but my wife says it stood up while extending both front paws toward her while growing. I donít think a cat can do that.

I took a screen shoot and I donít know if you can see this or not, but here it is.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

I guess Iím going to have to get one of my computer geek friends to help me get the video, but here is a photo of when my wife first sees the raccoon and shes scared to death. She said all the cats were watching from inside.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 11:55 PM
Cat Addict

Raccoons are pretty much everywhere in North America, they're like rats that way. They're nocturnal mostly so you don't see them in the daytime unless they're hungry/sick/expecting food.

I've lived in the city my entire life and I've hardly ever seen a raccoon in that time except in parks where they're very tame due to being fed. When it snows you can often see various animal prints, including raccoon prints, in the snow so we know they're around.

However, last summer there was a raccoon hanging around for a few days. It was dying or had distemper or something, it was so unafraid and dopey and not hungry. I didn't let Blacky outside at night while it was around after the first night... the first night being the night I opened up the door to the sun room and thought the raccoon was Blacky sitting in a chair. I put my face less that a foot from its face before realizing it was not, in fact, a fluffy black cat. I had had my doubts to start with as it seemed way too fluffy but I couldn't think what else it would be, at first I'd thought Blacky, then as I got closer I thought it was another more long haired cat, when I saw its pointed nose. Wow that freaked me out. It didn't even run away. Then I saw Blacky sleeping on the chair right beside it, which scared me even more. So she was force to put up with a few nights of indoor time.

Meanwhile there's some people I know in the same subdivision about 5 minutes away... they feed the raccoons and so they actually have about four sitting at their door nightly.

In the Gulf Islands we own property - family has owned it for over 50 years - and we have raccoons at our door there all the time since my grandfather feeds them, usually about 10 wandering the property. All family cats past and present have got along with them pretty well, they give each other space. There was even a feral cat that lived with the raccoons in the 60's for several years.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Along with the dogs
and

Last edited by Carmel; 12-07-2012 at 12:00 AM.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

In my younger days as a teenager, I hitchhiked from Los Angles to San Francisco and got a ride in a Volkswagen Bus with a lot of other young people my age. We camped out in Big Sur and as soon as it got dark we were ambushed by raccoons.
They chased all of us inside the bus and all we could do was watch as they raided our back packs and ate all of our food. We had hot dogs cooking on sticks over the camp fire and they even took them without any fear of the fire.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 12:18 AM
Cat Addict

You couldn't chase them out somehow? Were they really aggressive? Usually raccoons take off if anything looks like it could be a dangerous confrontation unless they're sickly or starving.

Raccoon Facts

Actually, this is written from someone in my location, funnily enough, and is the first search result when Googling about raccoons. Maybe raccoon in other areas are more vicious?

Along with the dogs
and
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel View Post
You couldn't chase them out somehow? Were they really aggressive? Usually raccoons take off if anything looks like
Oh no these were really aggressive and actually came right up to us showing their teeth and growing. There were 7 of us and a couple of the guys thought they could fight them off with sticks. It was kind of hysterical watching those fools being chased around by the raccoons, then one of the girls said something about rabies and those guys jumped into the bus with the rest of us.
The next day we stopped at a little store to buy more food and the store owner told us that there were sign posted all over about the raccoons being dangerous, but we werenít paying attention to signs.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 04:24 AM
Premier Cat

Any food left out at night will attract raccoons. They can be aggressive little buggers, so your wife should be careful but it is cute that her first thought was to protect her animal brood by chasing the raccoon off with a broom. Go Mrs. Builder!!

Just wanted to say that I'm sorry you were in so much pain that night. It is no fun, that is for sure!

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page