Should A Significant Other Have A Say So? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Should A Significant Other Have A Say So?

For those of you who have a SO living with you,do you consult with them before you bring in new animals or do you just bring the new animal home? I don't plan on bringing another cat home into the family,but my husband and I always have new foster dogs coming in.He loves the animals as much as I do,and I always mention to him what changes are going on with the dogs as far as who is getting adopted or who's coming in. I personally wouldn't be with someone who didn't at least like animals or expected me to not do rescue work. That's another thread though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 10:22 PM
Cat Addict

I don't live with a significant other but I do live with a very easygoing and pet oriented family.

I think anyone you live with deserves to be kept up to date on the animals coming and going in your house, which you share, and have a say in the matter; though admittedly if I lived with people that didn't want dogs and cats in the house as a bottom line then that simply wouldn't work out. Rescue work involves going the extra mile, so I can understand if that's less ok for some people that live in the household, but hopefully there's always compromise!

Right now we have no room for any more cats in this house. We have four. My aunt's cat in one room (aunt's on vacation, but when she stays overnight - frequently - the cat also stays in that room), Blaze (he sprays) in another, Jasper (semi-feral) in the garage, and Blacky getting the option to come and go through the house and outdoors (who we tamed from the outdoors and frankly, I didn't give anyone the option of if she was staying or not, it happened gradually enough anyway). Also two dogs. So... yes. No more room for animals here, honestly not a suitable extra room to keep a cat even if I wanted to. It's a bit like a zoo, keeping doors closed everywhere. If my family had said no to keeping Jasper in the garage to tame I'd have understood. Everyone has their own limits on number of animals they want in a home and amount of time and space required for those animals is a factor affecting everyone that lives under the same roof.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Along with the dogs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

Last edited by Carmel; 12-06-2012 at 10:26 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 10:24 PM
Cat

absolutely.

it is a huge decision after all

and most shelters actually require all members of the household to visit the animal at least once and/or be present for the adoption

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 11:26 PM
Senior Cat

Well depends on the situation.... If you had pets before you met this SO then I would say no they don't get a say in what you do with them.... But if you met and then decided to get a pet then sure they get a say. Some of the people I dated in the past didn't like my cats and I gave them all the same response.... "Well that sucks for you then Hun cuz they were here before you "

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 02:18 PM
Premier Cat

If you are co-habitating then yes, they should be consulted about new pets brought in.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 02:30 PM
Senior Cat

I think it would be disrespectful to bring in any new pets without letting the person/people you live with know first. Even if you are just fostering, even if you will be doing all the feeding/walking/cleaning, I think consulting any co-habitators about new animals is the right thing to do.

Zilla mentions pets being in the house first- I also think there is a big difference between existing pets and bringing in new ones.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 03:00 PM
Cat

For me It would allways be discussed. Maybe not if I brought home a gold fish. I do want a budgie but still that needs consideration. They are noisey.

tamara
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 04:38 PM
Tom Cat

Technically, I brought home all three cats without discussing it, but that's because two were abandoned in a field and the other was take or he was being left outside. However, it was a mutual decision on whether or not we kept them. I had already talking to my breeder about my second great dane puppy before we moved in together, so that was already established. We moved in together in march and puppy came home in may.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 02:38 PM
Senior Cat

absolutely, I respect my husband and his opinions.

Before adopting our cats (I was the one who wanted to adopt cats) we discussed it as I didn't want to make decision without him agreeing to that. We live together, we share life, home and responsibilities together. But I have to admit, I was little pushy when he was skeptical about adopting cats at first

I guess the only time when I would bring animal home without discussing it with him first would be an emergency situation like taking home animal in need, i.e. dumped or injured, etc. But I would still give him a call first
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 08:14 PM
Premier Cat

My SO already knows I'm a package deal and is tolerant of my passion for cats. He said he would be willing to foster kittens but I'm sure I could talk him into any cat which needed my help as he is a softie. I know I could never be with someone who didn't love animals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page