Another reason not to give HSUS the $19 a month donation - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Another reason not to give HSUS the $19 a month donation

Humane Watch

Did you know? The Humane Society of the U.S. s shovels more money into its pension plans than it gives to pet shelters!

HSUS gives only 1 percent of its budget to pet shelters. That’s according to its own tax returns.

Give Locally to your shelters and rescues this Christmas

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 09:48 PM
Cat

I allways give locally and tangible, such as cans of food, cleaning stuff,etc. I do not give money to any charity anymore. I too fear that so little of it go to the fund and way to much to someones pocket.

tamara
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 10:22 PM
Premier Cat

I stopped giving to HSUS when I found out they support and provide money to peta. They lost my respect at that point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 11:17 PM
Super Moderator

One of my employees took a phone call from the HSUS the other day...they were asking me to sign the store up for an effort they are working to eliminate the sale of pets in stores. She gave them my email and they sent a bunch of literature asking me to a) commit to not selling pets (I don't) and b) hold adoption days with local rescues at the store (I already do).

So it sounds like something right up my alley, something I should want to jump on and be part of. But it's the HSUS...it's sad that my immediate thought was that there must be some ulterior motive and that I need to read all the literature with a fine tooth comb. And even if it all comes up clean, do I really want my name associated with them cause I know that there are other areas of their "mission" that aren't so clean.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 11:51 PM
Senior Cat

We give a discount to people with our local humane society membership card, this one lady comes in all the time with the hsus card and I hesitate every time I call the manager, lol.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 01:02 AM
Premier Cat

I didn't know the HSUS supported PETA. Yikes. I'm glad I stopped donating to them years ago. That was because I ooked up how much of their money actually went where it was supposed to go (plus cats always seemed like an afterthought to them). The ASPCA ranked significantly higher, and I continue to give them money. Anything I should know about them??
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 05:30 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Sprite you might be interested in this short read. 19 reasons not to give to the HSUS. If you want to delve deep google it and you will be disappointed in their stands on issues.

19 Reasons Not to Give to $19 a Month to HSUS | HumaneWatch
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator

There is one thing I want to add...just because an animal related organization doesn't give money directly to local animal shelters isn't necessarily a bad thing. If their mission is 100% about enacting legislation to ban puppy mills, stop declawing, making spay/neuter mandatory etc. then that's OK...as long as they go about that mission to the highest standards.

So statements like the HSUS puts more in their pension fund than they give to shelters don't bother me so much as long as their salaries and pension funds don't represent a huge portion of the income. Unfortunately the HSUS has so many other negatives surrounding it that this just makes them look even worse.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 01:25 PM
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug View Post
as long as their salaries and pension funds don't represent a huge portion of the income.
here in connecticut that is exactly what has been occurring.

the former board chairman was taking a salary of $225,000 a year and that doesn't count all of the "extras". he routinely used cths funds to pay for work that was done on his home, a palatial estate in the hartford suburbs. he fired several employees after they backed a drive to unionize and then attempted to "hire" the contractor that had done work on his home. the stipulation for the "hiring" was that he would provide a no vote to unionizing - and in return he would receive a $20,000 yearly salary to make an appearance once or twice a week and then be on his way.

i know the contractor through my work. fortunately he had the morals to decline the "job" offer and he was at the time unaware of the fact that the work being done was paid for by cths funds.

story about some of the things this jerk did Ct Humane Society Ex-Director Got More Than $100k In Settlement | Connecticut Consumer Advocate Protector Watchdog | Ct Consumer Complaints |Ct consumer Protection | Ct Advocate | Ct Consumer

"In studying the traits and dispositions of the so-called lower animals, and contrasting them with man's, I find the result humiliating to me."
--Mark Twain
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 01:45 PM
Kitten

I very rarely donate money to ANY charity for the same reasons as these. I donate my money and time to a small local charity that is run solely by the volunteers with only 1 paid person who gets minimum wage and actually WORKS at the place. Organizations like this will never see a DIME of my money!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page